There's going to be a 'Sopranos' movie written by the show's creator — here's everything we know so far
- David Chase, the creator of "The Sopranos," co-wrote a prequel.
- New Line bought the screenplay.
- It's set in the 60s, and will feature characters from the show - most likely Tony's parents and his Uncle Junior, one of the show's most beloved characters.
"The Sopranos" ended its six-season run when everyone's screens unexpectedly went black in 2007.
While we'll likely never find out what exactly happened in that series finale, the show's creator has written a prequel that could give us a closer look at Tony Soprano's childhood.
Creator David Chase wrote a screenplay for a prequel film that has been purchased by New Line Cinema, according to Deadline. There are not that many details on the movie yet, but we do know that characters from the show will make an appearance. It's reportedly set in the 60s, which would mean that a young Tony Soprano would be in it, as well as his parents.
Here's everything we know:
"The Sopranos" creator David Chase wrote the screenplay with Lawrence Konner
Konner wrote for "The Sopranos" and "Boardwalk Empire." Chase's last film was 2010's "Not Fade Away."
New Line Cinema bought the screenplay
Chase will be a producer as well as co-writer. He's also reportedly involved in picking a director.
The movie's working title is "The Many Saints of Newark"
The title of the movie is subject to change.
It's set in the 60s, and will cover an era in Newark when African-Americans and Italian Americans were in conflict.
Some characters from the show will appear in the film
Given the 60s setting, we'll probably get to know Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former captain of the Soprano crew. We could also see a younger version of Tony's mom, Livia, who appeared in the show's first two seasons, as well as Tony’s uncle Junior, one of the most beloved characters from the series. We could also get a more in-depth look at Tony's childhood, along with his sisters Janice and Barbara.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- Tons of recalled meat is headed for public landfill sites – and that could spell an entirely new disaster
- How the deadly strain of listeriosis was traced to Tiger Brands’ Enterprise polony factory
- We compared South Africa’s most popular takeout coffees — and the winner is clear
- This is probably the last chance ever to become a director of the Reserve Bank before it is nationalised
- Samsung's new Galaxy S9 display is better than the iPhone X
- Here is the perfect way to end an email — and 26 sign-offs you should usually avoid
- Here’s what a business class ticket on the first direct flight from Hong Kong to Cape Town on the brand-new A350 buys you
- Trump’s latest announcement will hurt South Africa and may spark a global trade war
- Elon Musk just posted a sensual Instagram picture with his tunnel-boring machine
- Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg has advice for male managers after #MeToo: Workplace equality is much more than stamping out sexual harassment
- 11 new skyscrapers to transform Cape Town’s skyline
- South Africa's transplanted Bravado esports team suffered a nail-biting loss on the weekend – but have high hopes for a competition in China soon