The Orion Hotel in Mbombela was once a town hall, and more pictures of the Lowveld
- Mbombela, formerly known as Nelspruit, was founded by the Nel brothers in the middle of a prime grazing area.
- It has evolved from wide open spaces to a regional city and a hub for tourists.
The capital of Mpumalanga and home to the Pumas rugby team, Mbombela, has changed a great deal since its humble beginnings.
Then Nelspruit, it was founded in 1895 by the Nel brothers, who grazed their cattle along the Crocodile River in the winter. It owes much of its early success to the Eastern Railway Line.
With the help of Mpumalanga Heritage and the society's vice chairperson, Marius Bakkes, we got to see how the city has evolved over the years.
The Nelspruit Town Hall - now a hotel.
Situated on corner Henshall Street and Samora Machel Drive/N4, it is hard to imagine that what is today known as the Orion Hotel Promenade, used to be the town hall.
Voortrekker Street and Second Avenue, in 1936 and today.
The El Madre area in the 1970s...
The Post Office in Voortrekker Street, then and now.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Drone operators wait years for licences in SA. So how did Absa putting 300 in the skies over Joburg overnight?
- An airline passenger was caught trying to smuggle a python on a plane by hiding it inside a hard drive at Miami International Airport
- Bombshell report accuses Viceroy of plagiarising Steinhoff research
- All-out war as furious Viceroy fires back at critics. But these 4 questions remain unanswered.
- Steinhoff shares have nearly doubled in 5 days - and one investor expects a violent move.