The new PnP Mobile will give you 2.5GB free data a month – if you spend R5,000 in store
- Pick n Pay has joined the mobile service market, offering competitive rates and data rewards for Smart Shoppers.
- Utilising MTN’s mobile network infrastructure, PnP Mobile offers customers prepaid, SIM-based access to airtime, SMS and data services.
- A tier-based Smart Shopper Instant Rewards system will track monthly in-store spend up to R5,000, with free data ranging from 250MB to 2.5GB
- Loyalty points will continue to build alongside data rewards and can be earned at all Pick n Pay outlets, including Express, Clothing, and Liquor stores.
- For more articles, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Retailer Pick n Pay will now offer a mobile service - PnP mobile - which will reward its loyal Smart Shopper base with free data determined by in-store spend.
Relying on MTN’s mobile network infrastructure, Pick n Pay will offer prepaid, SIM-based services. Customers will be able to register SIM cards through the supermarket’s paperless RICA system, which is expected to rollout to 500 stores nationwide before the end of 2020. Smart Shoppers will need to link their loyalty cards to their SIM cards in order to reap the data rewards, and the SIM card will need to be topped-up with at least R50 over a 30-day period.
Smart Shoppers will be awarded free data according to a monthly tier system which ranges from the lowest Tier 1 to the highest Tier 4. Here's how it works:
- Tier 1 applies to Smart Shoppers who spend between R50 to R99 on PnP Mobile services and R500 on in-store purchases within a 30-day period. These shoppers will be instantly rewarded with 250MB of free data.
- Tier 2 applies to Smart Shoppers who spend between R100 to R199 on PnP Mobile services and R1,000 on in store purchases within a 30-day period. These shoppers’ PnP Mobile SIM cards will be awarded 500MB of free data.
- Tier 3 applies to Smart Shoppers who spend between R200 to R299 on PnP Mobile services and R2,500 on in-store purchases within a 30-day period. These shoppers will earn instant data rewards of 1.25GB.
- Tier 4 applies to Smart Shoppers who spend over R300 on PnP Mobile services and R5,000 on in-store purchases within a 30-day period. These shoppers will earn the maximum free data amount of 2.5GB.
“This is an outstanding innovation for our customers, and we’re very excited about the extra benefits they will earn,” says Richard van Rensburg, Pick n Pay’s Chief Technology and Services Officer. “Innovation has been absolutely central to creating South Africa’s favourite loyalty programme and this new Smart Shopper innovation means that customers walk out our stores with affordable groceries, points on their card and now free data on their PnP Mobile SIM card.”
While PnP Mobile is geared towards servicing existing Smart Shoppers, the service includes competitive voice and SMS rates for all users, whether you're part of the loyalty programme or not. Voice or airtime tariffs are priced at R1.49 per minute across all networks. SMS’ are charged at 60 cents per message.
Out-of-bundle data rates are charged at 20 cents per MB. PnP Mobile data bundles are competitively priced at:
- R20 for 100MB
- R45 for 250MB
- R75 for 500MB
- R99 for 1GB
- R189 for 2GB
- R229 for 3GB
Receive a daily news update on your cellphone. Or get the best of our site emailed to you.
Go to the Business Insider front page for more stories.