The iconic Milkybar is about to get a coconut makeover in South Africa – and believe it or not, our tasters very much approved
- A limited edition Milkybar with dried coconut will be on South African shelves in October.
- Milkybar holds a 47% market share among white chocolate in SA.
- Even though messing with such a favourite is dangerous, the coconut version was a hit among most of our tasters
- For more stories go to the Business Insider SA homepage.
The iconic Milkybar has been remade with the addition of Jelly Tots, Smarties, and popping candy. And now it is about to come with in an even more exotic and – according to our tasters, delicious – version.
In mid October, Nestlé is due to release a limited edition Milkybar with 7% of dried grated coconut.
It not only drew general approval, but one of our tasters even described it as bordering on heavenly.
Milkybar holds a 47% market share among white chocolate, according to Alex Villela, confectionery business executive efficer at Nestlé Eastern and Southern African Region.
“We aim to deliver a great taste with a nice contrasting texture of smooth and creamy white chocolate and crispy coconut,” said Villela.
A serving size portion, which ends up being about four blocks, is packed with 535 kilojoules of energy.
If you can’t stop at just four pieces, an 80g bar comes in at around 1,872kj - a quarter of your recommended daily kilojoule intake.
Tasters said polishing off a bar wouldn’t be too difficult.
"It’s one of the best chocolate combinations I’ve tried, and I think I might prefer it over the original. I’ll definitely be buying it when the white chocolate cravings set in,” said one taster.
Another described it as a new favourite: "So creamy and smooth, and I love the coconut in there – not overwhelming at all.".
“It’s very clever that they have used the coconut to slow down the speed at which the chocolate dissolves away over the taste buds. There’s also a lovely coconut flavour that comes through after the white chocolate which increases the pleasure of the experience,” said another taste.
But the new flavour wasn’t a universal winner.
“I enjoy the subtly of the coconut flavour. It doesn't overpower the Milkybar taste that I know and love. However, I don't enjoy the little pieces of coconut that linger after a bite,” said one taster.
“It was not bad, but I will not buy it – the Cadbury one where they use coconut and cashews is much more tasty…also did not like the coconut in the milk chocolate combination – maybe I would have liked it more when combined with a darker chocolate,” said another.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- TAKE A LOOK: The first 'new' Edgars store has play areas, personal shoppers and a section where you can print your own t-shirt
- Clicks, Food Lovers Market, Pick n Pay, Spar, Shoprite, and Woolworths are all dropping the confusing recycling info on their packaging – here’s how their new unified approach will look
- Kenya just got a big DStv price drop – but South Africans still pay far less. Here’s how prices compare from Nigeria to Zimbabwe.
- These TV ads have just been named the best in South Africa - and they include a banned Chicken Licken commercial about colonialism