Texas overtook California with the most Covid-19 infections in the US - recording more than 950,000 cases since the pandemic began
- Texas overtook California on Saturday as the state that has recorded the most Covid-19 infections during the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- As of that day, Texas had recorded 931,750 total cases, the university said.
- On Monday, total Covid-19 cases in Texas stood at 957,108, compared to 938,883 in California, the New York Times reported.
- California, which has a much higher population than Texas, had been the state with the most total cases since mid-July, when it surpassed New York.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Texas overtook California as the US state with the most Covid-19 cases on Saturday, despite its much smaller population.
On Saturday evening, Texas's total number of recorded Covid-19 cases since the pandemic began ticked up to 931,750, compared to 931,740 cases in California, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.
As of Monday, Texas had reported 957,108 coronavirus cases, whilst California had reported 938,883, a coronavirus tracker from The New York Times showed.
Texas, which has a population of 29 million, has 3,282 cases per 100,000 people, according to the tracker.
In comparison, California — the most populous state in the US with 39.5 million people — has 2,366 cases per 100,000 residents.
Since September, Texas has added many older cases onto the statewide tally that were backlogged at commercial laboratories, the Times reported.
Texas has already passed California's death toll, too. On Monday, Texas' tally of Covid-19 deaths reached 18,582. In California, 17,671 coronavirus deaths have been recorded.
The number of hospitalizations and deaths attributed to Covid-19 are on the rise in Texas, according to an analysis of state data by the Texas Tribune. On November 1, about 5,700 Texans were hospitalized with the coronavirus, nearly 500 more than the week before.
Overall, more than 9.2 million people have been infected with Covid-19 in the US, and at least 231,000 have died — the highest death toll of any country in the world.
Receive a daily news update on your cellphone Or get the best of our site emailed to you.
Go to the Business Insider front page for more stories.