Watch: the top inventions from NASA we use every day - from cell phone cameras to water filters
Technology developed by NASA, the United State’s state-sponsored civilian space program, is today used in everything from what we sleep on to what we eat.
Since its inception in 1958, technologies originally developed for space missions have been adapted for commercial products and services on Earth.
To prove this point, every year since the mid-1970s, NASA has published a list of space technologies that have been integrated into everyday items. The tangible benefits span from life-saving medical devices to protective eyewear.
To date, NASA says it has documented nearly 1,800 "spinoff" technologies.
Here are the top ten technologies developed by NASA which we use every day:
1. Cellphone cameras
2. Safer highways
3. Memory foam
4. Water filters
5. Scratch-resistant lenses
6. Comfortable running shoes
7. MRI and CAT scans
8. Modern golf clubs
9. Baby formula
10. The computer mouse
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- These suburbs can order their groceries via Uber — but there's a 7.5% catch
- Bruce Whitfield: Uncertainty is breeding chaos in South Africa
- Speed limits for fishing boats, relocating abalone farms, and other highlights from a brand new plan to make agriculture ‘climate smart’
- Cape Town Uber prices triple as a taxi strike leaves commuters stranded
- SA kids can win R500,000 in cash for their water inventions – as long as they don’t go to a private school