086 numbers used by call centres are suffering ‘intermittent call drops’, Telkom says
- Network service provider Openserve, which runs Telkom's network, has confirmed a fault currently impacting voice services.
- The most affected are smart customer call centre numbers in the 086 range, which are dropping calls nationwide.
- The fault is affecting multiple businesses from emergency rescue service through to call centres at Discovery.
- Many businesses are providing alternative sources of communications.
- For more stories visit Business Insider South Africa.
Network service provider Openserve, the telecommunications infrastructure company that handles the backbone of Telkom's network, has confirmed a fault currently impacting voice services, especially calls to some call centres.
“Voice services have been largely impacted since 07h00 this morning with intermittent call termination failures,” said the company in a statement.
“Openserve confirms that its high-level support personnel are currently engaging with its vendor technical support teams to isolate and resolve a fault that is currently impacting voice services.”
The company has apologised to all those affected and said it had escalated the matter as a high priority.
The most affected appear to be smart call centres lines that make use of 086 numbers, which are dropping calls nationwide.
"Please note that our call centres are affected by a Telkom network issue in South Africa. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. Please use +27 82 810 6010 or firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the DAN hotline for dive safety advice or an emergency. For the DAN admin office use +27 71 476 1138 or email@example.com." is states on its website.
The fault mostly affects call centers used by the likes of banks and insurance companies. Some are now providing alternative numbers to use.
Telkom - WhatsApp or SMS 081 160 1700
SAhomeLoans - 031 576 5858
Discovery Bank - 011 324 4000
Discovery Health, Life, Invest and Bank - 011 539 6006
OUTsurance - firstname.lastname@example.org
1Life insurance - 010 493 9007
Hollard - 011 351 4669
Investec – DM over social media
Telkom – DM over social media
Virgin Active – 021 684 3002
African Bank – DM over social media
Bidvest- 011 407 3103
Standard Bank - Lost & Stolen cards 011 299 4114; Transactional banking 011 299 4701; Home Loans 011 299 4600; Vehicle Asset Finance 011 299 4747
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Here’s how food prices changed since 2017: mielie meal is cheaper, but meat is much pricier
- Recall of pilchards at Shoprite, Checkers: ‘Bloated’ cans could make consumers sick
- Pilchards sold under Shoprite, Checkers brands recalled - may be 'unfit for consumption'
- Robert F. Smith on becoming the richest black man in America, what companies get wrong about diversity
- South Africa now has the world's largest electric vehicle, a massive mining truck
- You can score many free Whoppers thanks to Business Insider – if you have the right name