Telkom is launching its own 'Netflix' - and it's looking for cellphone soap operas from SA
- Telkom is launching a new video service next month.
- TelkomONE will feature local content, including "mobivelas" and lifestyle shows.
- It is inviting South African filmmakers and videographers to create videos for the service.
- For more articles, go towww.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Telkom is planning to launch a new video service next month, called TelkomONE.
The company says the service will be available online as well as via its app and through a “streaming box”, which allows you to stream online content on your TV.
TelkomONE will be sold as a daily, weekly or monthly subscription package “over and above a free section with a wide range of TV channels available to customers from most major networks”.
Three years ago, Telkom launched its LIT service, which allows users to buy affordable data bundles to stream video from DStv, Netflix, YouTube and Showmax as well as music from Apple Music, Simfy Africa and Google Play Music.
TelkomONE will feature local music, programmes and series, and Telkom is now looking for South African filmmakers and videographers to create videos for the service.
Both amateur or professional content producers can submit videos, and the winners will get "a R100,000 cash injection" each to produce their project.
Telkom is specifically looking for “mobivelas” – soap operas for mobilephones, with a melodramatic storyline and permanent cast. It also wants comedy videos, as well as lifestyle shows, which could cover cooking, travel, exercise or edutainment. “The deciding factor will be the content producer’s ability to provide good escapism to viewers looking to be inspired and entertained,” says Telkom.
Entrants are required to shoot and submit a maximum of 3 short clips (between five to ten minutes) and submit it to www.create.telkomone.tv. The competition closes 30 November.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Here’s how to buy a repossessed car on auction, cheap – and avoid getting a dud
- Some of the coolest experiences in SA - from hiking to snorkelling - are now much cheaper
- Searching for a job online? Here are the big trends right now in South Africa
- Vodacom wins first round in big Lesotho battle
- Carousel casino is up for sale - take a look inside
- WATCH | Hyenas snatch impala from wild dogs - who stole the meal from a leopardTake an exclusive tour of this R66 million Bugatti