A 17-year-old girl was arrested after allegedly stealing a R28 million plane and driving it into an airport building in California
- A 17-year-old was arrested over the unsuccessful theft of a R28 million private plane, which crashed into an airport building in Fresno, California.
- According to airport officials, the unnamed teen jumped the airfield around dawn, got into the plane and started one of the King Air 200's twin engines.
- The plane made it across a runway before crashing into an airport building, which was badly damaged.
- Police say they found the girl confused and uncooperative, but not injured.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A 17-year-old girl was arrested after police say she stole a private plane, drove it along a runway, then crashed it at a California airport.
Security footage taken at Fresno Yosemite International Airport on Wednesday, and broadcast by local news station ABC30, shows the aircraft, a King Air 200 plane, veering across the runway then hitting a building.Airport spokeswoman Vikkie Calderon told The Fresno Bee that the perpetrator jumped the airport fence, got into the plane, put on the pilot's headset, and started one of its two engines. The girl then drove the plane erratically around the runway before crashing it into a building, causing "substantial damage," Calderon said.
No passengers were on the plane and no injuries were reported.
"No passengers or commercial airlines were ever at risk in this incident," Calderon said. "The motive is still under investigation but there is no indication of any ties to domestic terrorism."
The police were called and arrested the girl at around 7:30 a.m, Calderon said. Officers found the girl "disoriented" and "uncooperative."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Everything you need to know about US president Donald Trump's impeachment process: What's happened, who the players are, and what comes next
- A pregnant python, which weighs 33kgs and is 4 metres long, has been rescued from a luxury KZN estate
- We compared mince pies from Checkers, Pick n Pay, Spar, and Woolworths – and we have a new champion and one clear loser
- Shocking footage caught tons of plastic crashing in the waves off Durban following heavy rains
- A dad makes his daughter hilarious posters when he picks her up from the airport, and the internet is loving it
- Airbnb has just added isiZulu, isiXhosa and Kiswahili - here’s what gets translated and what stays in English.
- Famed design house MaXhosa just opened its first ever retail store – but you may have to wait 7 days for stuff you buy to arrive