A string of sushi restaurant fires in the US were caused by spontaneously combusting tempura flakes
- Seven fires at sushi restaurants in the US were caused by spontaneously combusting tempura flakes, investigators have found.
- A reaction between oxygen and oils used in tempura batter caused fires in five Wisconsin restaurants, as well as venues in Minnesota, Virginia, and even Canada.
- Kara Nelson, a fire investigator with the Madison Fire Department, told ABC News: "The oil will combine with the oxygen in the air and in that chemical process, it releases heat."
- Staff at Madison's Sumo Steakhouse and Sushi Bar told fire crews: "After being deep-fried, the flour is left to drain and cool for a day. In this case, the deep-fried flour ignited on its own overnight, resulting in a fire."
- The tempura flakes are also known as "crunch," or "tenkasu" in Japanese.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider SA.
Fires at multiple sushi restaurants in North America were caused by spontaneously combusting tempura flakes, investigators have found.
The flakes - known colloquially as "crunch," but "tenkasu" in Japan - are made with an oil which self-heats and "can create an environment for a fire to occur," the City of Madison, Wisconsin said in a statement on July 11.
Investigators said fires at Madison restaurants Sumo Steakhouse and Sushi Bar on April 5, and at Takara Japanese Restaurant on May 10, were categorically caused by the flake mixture.
Five other fires caused by tempura have broken out at restaurants in recent months, with some in Wisconsin, as well as in Minnesota, Virginia, and even Canada, Kara Nelson, a fire investigator with the Madison Fire Department, told ABC News.
The combined damage from the two fires in Madison was $575,000 (R8 million), the city wrote.
This security tape from inside Sumo Steakhouse and Sushi Bar shows the moment the tempura batter combusted in the dead of night.
In their report on the Sumo Steakhouse and Sushi Bar fire, Madison Fire Department wrote: "Restaurant staff report that flour is routinely deep-fried for use in some of their sushi products."
"After being deep-fried, the flour is left to drain and cool for a day."
"In this case, the deep-fried flour ignited on its own overnight, resulting in a fire."
Nelson told ABC News: "The oil will combine with the oxygen in the air and in that chemical process, it releases heat."
She said the two oils most likely to react and cause fires are vegetable oil and canola oil.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- One of the world's biggest companies wants to buy a local food giant – here's what it will mean for South Africans
- Antarctica is melting so fast that scientists are proposing shooting artificial snow out of cannons to slow it down
- R24 billion later, Pepsi could finally have a fighting chance against Coke in South Africa – and maybe we’ll get Funyuns too
- WATCH: A new South African safe survives explosions
- You can save thousands by making the new rate cut work harder for you - here's how
- Trump officials are reportedly dismantling the post-9/11 programmes meant to prevent nuclear and biological weapons attacks against the US
- A psychologist explains why everyone is obsessed with a new viral app that shows what you'll look like when you're old
- A panelbeater in Brazil got busted for building knock-off Lamborghinis and Ferraris that look surprisingly real.
- The Gautrain wants to use levies paid by people across South Africa – such as vehicle registration fees – to fund much of its huge planned expansion