This bank will give you a R1 million salary to work on your side-hustle full time for a year
- Entrepreneurs are considered a key part of solving joblessness, but many stick to paid employment while hustling on the side.
- To take some of the risk out of going full time, Standard Bank is offering side hustlers a year's salary, up to R1 million.
- Those who don't win the final prize still get bootcamp training, perhaps giving them the confidence to make the leap.
Too many entrepreneurs are not willing to take a leap of faith and so end up as side hustlers while holding down full-time jobs, Standard Bank says – and it wants to change that.
The bank's new campaign, My Fearless Next, will take the most promising side hustlers it can find, put them through a bootcamp, and offer one contestant the chance to go full time, with a salary of up to R1 million paid for a year.
"The campaign is targeted at young entrepreneurs who have full-time corporate jobs, but have to start a small business either to earn additional income or fulfil their entrepreneurial ambitions," says Cleo Zwane, Standard Bank's senior marketing manager for business banking.
The campaign will take in six contestants every week and put them through a one-day training bootcamp, with more established hustlers and entrepreneurs as their trainers.
One winner will be selected each week. A final winner will be selected from the six weekly winners.
The winner will also be mentored through the bank's entrepreneur development programme.
Applications close on July 19.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Elon Musk posted videos of the 'kid-size submarine' he's sending to help save the boys trapped in a cave in Thailand
- New study sounds the alarm about cancer risks from 6 out of 8 common SA cling-wrap brands
- Two SA neighbourhoods have just been named among the coolest in the world – beating New York and London
- We blind-tasted ice-cream made from insect milk – and couldn’t believe the taste
- 17 jokes that only smart people will really appreciate