- Spar says it has taken over the running of franchise stores owned by a franchise holder, the Giannacopoulos group.
- Some of the stores, spread around Johannesburg, Tshwane, and in KwaZulu-Natal, were closed this week.
- The company has yet to release details, but these are the Spar, Superspar, and Tops shops affected.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
23 Spar, Superspar, and Tops locations around South Africa are now – probably – under the control of Spar head office, while a legal battle with a major franchise-holder plays out.
A Spar director this week issued a notice to its retailers, saying the company had "terminated membership of the stores which fall within the Giannacopoulos Group", then turned to the high court, and ultimately took possession of the stores, and now intends to run them directly.
The Giannacopoulos Group had brought the Spar brand into disrepute and had competed with other Spar retail members, the notice said.
Spar's head office would not comment on the notice or its relationship with the stores on Friday, saying only it intended to issue a statement later in the day.
Business Insider South Africa could not immediately reach the Giannacopoulos Group for comment.
These are all the affected Spar, Superspar, and Tops stores around the country.
Tshwane and surrounds
Dely Road, at the Newlands Shopping Centre
Doornpoort, at the Village Square Shopping Centre
Elardus Park, off Delmas Road
Karenpark, in Akasia.
Montanana, off Sefako Makgatho Drive (formerly Zambezi Drive)
Mooikloof, off Garsfontein Road
Orchards, off Doreen Avenue
Rietfontein, at the Rietfontein Pavilion Centre
Sediba, off Beethoven Street in Hartebeespoort
Silver Place, on Brandwag Street in Silverton
Silverton Spar, off Pretoria Street in Silverton
Wierda, in Wierdapark
Zambezi, off Moloto Road
Johannesburg and surrounds
Euro Spar in Vereeniging
Rustenburg Square Spar
Tuscany Spar at Tuscany Crossing, Rustenburg
Safari Superspar at the Safari Gardens centre, Rustenburg
Carlswald, off New Road in Midrand
Five Ways, Empangeni
Meerensee, Richard's Bay
Lakeside, Richard's Bay
Town Square, Richard's Bay
(compiled by Phillip de Wet)
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is how much it will cost to take your home off the grid - and avoid load shedding forever
- UPDATE: Woolworths says sorry for an apartheid-flag coloured bag it sold in South Africa – and has now yanked
- Bruce Whitfield: How crooks steal your future, again and again
- Uber launches in East London - after its application was opened 100,000 times there
- EOH non-exec directors want 40% pay increases to clean up ‘legacy governance issues’ that tanked the share price