This is the city with the worst drivers in all of South Africa
- Discovery Vitality found that Durban is the city with the worst drivers in South Africa.
- Cape Town had the safest drivers, followed by Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein.
- South African has a road death toll of 22.5 per 100,000 people.
Durban drivers are most likely to accelerate quickly, brake harshly, and take sharp turns in South Africa, a new report says.
South African roads are among the most dangerous in the world, with a road death toll of 22.5 per 100,000 people.
The Road to a Healthier South Africa report, based on data from Discovery’s insurance scheme, found that Durban drivers are the country’s worst, followed by Pretoria and Johannesburg.
Cape Town is not only the country’s healthiest city, but also has the safest drivers, the report found.
Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein were the second and third best-driving cities respectively.
Meanwhile, drivers in Johannesburg are least likely to drive at night, when roads are considered dangerous.
The report also found that women aged 66+ are the country’s best drivers, while men between the age of 18 and 25 are the worst.
Prof Sebastian van As, trauma unit head at the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital, said driving behaviour is the one place drivers can protect themselves on the road.
“I could cite many such stats, however, they all boil down to this chilling fact: almost 90% of accidents are caused by bad driving – simple,” Van As writes in the report.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The world's oldest drawing has just been discovered in a South African cave
- Huawei expects lower data prices in South Africa thanks to a new law
- These 5 technologies could save SA mining, including robots and computer games
- South Africa will get the new iPhones later this month - here's everything you need know about the new models
- This South African wine just received a perfect score from a top UK wine expert