South Africa's top Google searches during lockdown
- So far, South Africa's top Google search terms during the national lockdown include “covid-19 news”, “Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams” and “tiger”.
- Google said search trends in the country mostly followed current affairs.
- Two Netflix series also featured among the top searches.
- For more stories go to the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
The top terms South Africans searched for most on Google during the national lockdown included “Covid-19 news”, “Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams” and “tiger”, the search service said.
During the lockdown most South Africans are forced to stay at home and can only travel to get essential food items or medical attention.
Google South Africa said trending search terms in the country during this time mostly followed current affairs.
The top-ten most searched terms on Google in South Africa the past 21-days were:
- Thank you coronavirus helpers
- Boris Johnson
- Vinolia Mashego
- Covid-19 news
- Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams
- Money Heist
- Zwelinzima Vavi
Searched queries for British prime minister 'Boris Johnson' spiked after he was admitted to hospital after contracting the coronavirus.
'Tiger' refers to the popular Netflix’s documentary series Tiger King which explores a community of big cat conservationists and collectors in the United States.
'Vinolia Mashego', also known as V-Mash, trended after the television presenter died at her home in Mamelodi.
Communications Minister 'Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams' trended in Google searches after she was caught having lunch with a friend during the lockdown, and was subsequently reprimanded by President Cyril Ramaphosa.
'Money Heist' refers to the Spanish television heist crime drama series - Season 4 was released on Netflix in April.
Searches for '5G' came as people were looking for information about the debunked myth that 5G causes coronavirus.
And the South African Federation of Trade Unions (Saftu) general secretary 'Zwelinzima Vavi' trended in Google searches after he was hospitalised after getting the coronavirus.
(compiled by James de Villiers)
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South Africa is getting a special three-digit phone number for Covid-19 emergencies
- Celeb chef loses her essential services permit after dinner delivery
- Petrol stations ask South Africans to wear masks in stores
- Almost 30% of SA's super rich studied law
- Discovery members can now book into an 'isolation hotel' at a reduced rate