South Africa’s top YouTube channels feature musicians, health fanatics, wildlife – and a guy who teaches you how to play Minecraft
- Animals behaving badly make up three of the top ten YouTube channels that generate content from within South Africa.
- Other than now international musicians Die Antwoord, other top channels are by surprisingly regular people.
- Our ranking is according to subscriptions rather than video views – so these are the channels viewers actually value.
South Africa’s most followed YouTube channels are a mix of weird and wonderful ordinary people – except for one strange musical outfit
This is according to Social Blade, a statistics website that allows you to track Youtubers and measure growth across multiple social media platforms including YouTube, Twitch, and Instagram.
“What I found super interesting about the list was it's actually a lot of channels that people didn't know of. Only Die Antwoord is like the big inverted comma 'brand channel' that has the backing behind it to really made it into the top 10. At least 6 of the channels I'd never even seen before. Ever,” said Carla Harris, a Youtuber and founder of Social Bard, which helps businesses to grow their channels.
The ranking exclude any channels where the creators are no longer living in South Africa, as well as the channels that repurpose videos from TV, so leaving out celebs like Casper Lee (who moved to the UK) and popular kids channels like Disney Africa.
Our ranking is according to subscriptions rather than video views – so these are the channels viewers actually value.
10. Rob The Ranger Wildlife Videos
Subscriptions 206 850; Views 192 247 154
9. Theodora Lee
Subscriptions 229 117; Views 12 107 969
8. Caitlin De Ville
Subscriptions 286 902; Views 74 583 898
Subscriptions 288,529; Views 63,553,834
6. Africa Adventures
Subscriptions 292 314; Views 117 149 898
5. CRASH driven
Subscriptions 331 809; Views 103 969 143
4. Liezl Jayne Strydom
Subscriptions 428 238; Views 24 333 642
3. Kruger Sightings
Subscriptions 669 087; Views 633 899 435
Subscriptions 1 225 006; Views 194 989 254
1. Die Antwoord
Subscriptions 1 796 323; Views 530 766 218
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- This Cape Town woman saves her poo, and she thinks you should too
- This entrepreneur is making 1,000 litres of water a day from Cape Town's air
- These are the best 5 wines under R80, according to SA's top young sommelier
- We compared South Africa’s most popular takeout coffees — and the winner is clear
- South Africa’s most exclusive mountain bike races
- Imported 'white slime' is being tested for listeria at South African ports – but Brazil says it is not to blame
- This is probably the last chance ever to become a director of the Reserve Bank before it is nationalised
- Samsung's new Galaxy S9 display is better than the iPhone X
- Here is the perfect way to end an email — and 26 sign-offs you should usually avoid
- Apple is reportedly preparing to release a cheaper MacBook
- We found love on Tinder, here's how you can too
- 10 rich, powerful people share their surprising definitions of success
- Most people might not be extroverts or introverts but 'ambiverts' — here's what it means to be one
- Here’s what a business class ticket on the first direct flight from Hong Kong to Cape Town on the brand-new A350 buys you
- Tiger Brands' R2.2 billion processed meat business catches fire as listeriosis is traced to its Polokwane facility
- How the deadly strain of listeriosis was traced to Tiger Brands’ Enterprise polony factory
- 11 new skyscrapers to transform Cape Town’s skyline
- Five science-backed tips to double your Tinder matches