Porsche sales in SA have rocketed - and an even bigger bump is expected
- Porsche South Africa saw a monthly increase of 61% in sales in March, and 22% over the year.
- Overall, vehicle sales in SA rose by only 1.1% in the past year.
- Porsche expects another jump in vehicle sales in July when the new Cayenne is released.
A whopping 141 new Porsche vehicles were sold in March, a 61% increase from the month before, and 22% more than a year ago. According to the latest numbers from the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (Naamsa), overall new vehicles sales increased by only 1.1% over the past year.
An average Porsche sells for just over R1 million in South Africa. Naamsa reported that 33 Cayman/Boxer, 19 Macan, 47 991, 11 Panamera, and 31 Cayenne models were sold in March. Most were sold by Porsche's Johannesburg dealership.
Spokesperson Christo Kruger said Porsche sales are set to jump again in July when the latest Cayenne is released.
Kruger said there's already been widespread South African interest in the upcoming Cayenne. "Watch the space," Kruger told Business Insider South Africa.
Kruger attributed the increase in sales to strong market demand near the end of 2017.
"One has to remember that Porsche buyers order vehicles months in advance," Kruger said.
"We rarely - if ever - keep vehicles as stock in South Africa. And when we do it is usually under special circumstances."
Another luxury car brand, Bentley, also saw a sharp increase - from five vehicles to eight.
- The Chinese MIT researcher who 'stole' inside info on Sibanye and Steinhoff from his Linklaters wife is going to (US) jail for 15 months
- Move over, Sauvignon and Cabernet - Vermentino, Marselan and Macabeu are the new names in SA wine
- A Twitter thread detailing the fallout after an office lunch thief was caught on tape is going viral
- Airbnb for billionaires: Where the world's richest people stay when they travel