- Four South African paintings were sold for more than R1 million each at an auction in Cape Town last night.
- Erik Laubscher's Still Life with Coffee Pot and Fruit' fetched the highest price of R2.273 million.
- The Still Life with Coffee Pot and Fruit piece set a new world record for his Still Life compositions.
Four paintings by South African artists fetched more than R1 million each at the auction house Strauss & Co's late-summer auction last night in Cape Town.
A work by the late Erik Laubscher, who was the first living artist in South Africa to have sold a painting for a million rand, set a new world record of R2.273 million for his Still Life compositions - one of the pieces from the Still Life collection, Still Life with iron and Fruit sold for R2 million last year.
The auction house says the Coffee Pot and Fruit painting which, previously sold for R1.8 million, was picked up by an art advisor on behalf of an anonymous client.
Art consultant Simon MacLennan from African Art Consultants, tells Business Insider South Africa that the price will likely drive interest in Laubscher's other works, driving up the value of his other paintings.
The highest price ever achieved for a South African painting was R21.166 million for Irma Stern's Two Arabs oil-on-canvas back in 2011, also at a Strauss auction. Strauss & Co's auction last night achieved R37.7 million in sales.
The three other paintings that fetched more than a million each at the auction are:
Reclining Nude by Irma Stern from 1962 sold for R1.136 million
Gerard Sekoto's The Donkey Water Carrier (circa 1939), from the artist's formative Sophiatown period, sold for R1.079 million
Alexis Preller's The Herald (1955), a collage of Egyptian and Beninese motifs laid down on a panel, fetched R1.023 million
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- South Africa’s top YouTube channels feature musicians, health fanatics, wildlife – and a guy who teaches you how to play Minecraft
- These are the 10 suburbs in Johannesburg where property prices have increased by more than 50% in the past five years
- South Africa’s most exclusive mountain bike races
- We compared South Africa’s most popular takeout coffees — and the winner is clear
- This is probably the last chance ever to become a director of the Reserve Bank before it is nationalised
- Samsung's new Galaxy S9 display is better than the iPhone X
- Here is the perfect way to end an email — and 26 sign-offs you should usually avoid
- Here’s what a business class ticket on the first direct flight from Hong Kong to Cape Town on the brand-new A350 buys you
- Trump’s latest announcement will hurt South Africa and may spark a global trade war
- Elon Musk just posted a sensual Instagram picture with his tunnel-boring machine
- 11 new skyscrapers to transform Cape Town’s skyline