- Cape Town has South Africa’s best salaries at R374,173 per annum, a recruitment platform found.
- The city’s salaries were R14,888 more on average than in Johannesburg.
- More jobs were also advertised in Cape Town.
In a blogpost, Adzuna said of the 140,000 jobs advertised through its platform in January, Cape Town outperformed Johannesburg with average salaries of R374,173 per annum - R14,888 more than Johannesburg’s average of R359,285.
Gauteng provincial salaries were also R304,799 - R69,374 less than in Cape Town.
Sandton was the third highest paying area with salaries of R358,728, followed by Centurion with R306,315 and Pretoria with R231,553.
Cape Town also had the most advertised vacancies on Adzuna with 14,023 jobs posted, compared to 13,657 in Johannesburg, 5,378 in Pretoria and 2,778 in Ekurhuleni.
Most jobs across South Africa were advertised in the IT, consultancy, technology, engineering, accounting and finance industries, Adzuna said.
Business Insider South Africa previously reported that Cape Town was named Africa’s biggest tech-hub, employing over 40,000 people - double the size of Johannesburg’s tech industry.
Other African tech hubs include Lagos and Nairobi which employ 9,000 and 7,000 people respectively.
A report by Cape Innovation and Technology Initiative (CiTi), Wesgro and the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation found that 3% of companies founded in Cape Town the past decade reached 100 employees or more, compared to 1% in Lagos, and less than 1% in Johannesburg and Nairobi.
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This company is teaching people how to play video games at a level where they can win prizes of millions of rands
- Interstellar object 'Oumuamua still perplexes astronomers a year after it vanished – and a few still wonder if it was alien
- Gauteng just lost its place as the province with the highest salaries in South Africa
- The Coke 'vagina' can is real - but you won't find it in stores