This is SA’s most expensive hotel room at R151,200 per night – and includes a 10-seat dining room, and personal cinema
- Cape Town’s Silo Hotel in the V&A Waterfront has South Africa’s most expensive hotel room at R151,200 a night during peak season.
- The 221 square metre penthouse suite offers unparalleled views of Table Mountain and Signal Hill through pillowed windows.
- It is situated in a renovated grain silo and has housed several notable guests .
The Silo Hotel’s penthouse suite – which includes a ten-seater dining room and a private cinema – is very likely South Africa’s most expensive hotel room at R151,200 a night during peak season.
The 211 square metre room, roughly double the size of the average South African home, is situated on top of a renovated grain silo built in 1921 in the Cape Town harbour, and has incredible pillowed glass windows.
The room looks out on Table Mountain, Signal Hill, and the V&A Waterfront.
Ross Bowers, the hotel’s marketing and communications manager, says the suite has attracted a host of luxury travellers and influencers since the hotel’s opening in March 2017.
Also read: 5 of the most expensive hotels in South Africa - charging up to R140,000 a night for a suite
“The Silo Hotel’s exquisite design, personalised service, and unbeatable location above Zeitz MOCAA (Africa’s largest contemporary art museum) make it a must-see destination,” Bowers told Business Insider South Africa.
The penthouse’s rates include breakfast, underground parking, a limited minibar, wifi, and sparkling wine and welcome gift on arrival.
Additional services such as other meals, laundry, telephone calls, transfers and spa treatments are, however, billed separately.
Hotel owner Liz Biden said she designed the interior to feature warm colours reflected against the building’s original industrial materials.
“Limited space throughout the building, the stark industrial exterior and the unusual shape brought various challenges,” said Biden.
Biden included over 250 pieces of modern African art in the hotel's interiors.
“I wanted to create a beautiful and comfortable space where our guests would feel special and delighted. This meant balancing the architecture with aspects of classic glamour. Brightening the interior spaces and offering our guests unique, eclectic, and luxurious comfort.”
The hotel is a part of The Royal Portfolio which includes Royal Malewane luxury safari lodge in the Greater Kruger National Park, Birkenhead House in Hermanus, and La Residence in Franschhoek - another one of the country’s most expensive hotels.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Petrol is nearly a quarter more expensive than last year – but package holidays and phones are getting cheaper
- A former South African spy is at the centre of a storm over US military secrets
- You will soon be able to buy a Tesla in South Africa - this is what to expect from the Model 3
- These man-skirts are in hot demand among South African tough guys