Snap reportedly has two new versions of its Spectacles in the works, with the first arriving this fall
- Snap is reportedly preparing two new versions of its smartglasses, Spectacles.
- Spectacles 2.0 will reportedly arrive this fall, with a more expensive, more powerful version following that.
- Snap hasn't confirmed any of the details of the report.
Are you ready for more smartglasses? Snap apparently thinks you are — the company reportedly has two new versions of its video-recording Spectacles smartglasses currently in the pipeline, with the first set to launch by this fall.
The news comes from Cheddar reporter Alex Heath, who has a track record of nailing major Snap-based scoops. He told Cheddar viewers on Friday morning that the first follow-up to last year's Spectacles release is set to arrive "by this fall."
Another follow-up, that costs as much as R3500 ($300) and comes with two cameras, is also reportedly in the works. Notably, Snap hasn't announced a second version of Spectacles (let alone a third version), and representatives for Snap declined to comment.
The first version of Spectacles went from must-have item to sitting in a drawer somewhere in record time.
According to internal data from Snap, less than half of Spectacles owners continued to use the camera-equipped sunglasses after just four weeks of owning them. Moreover, just 150,000 pairs were sold in total — reports from last year point to "hundreds of thousands" of pairs sitting in warehouses, unsold.
It's unclear what Snap is changing about its Spectacles project to make it more enticing this time around, and it's not clear if such a project will ever see the light of day. Currently, Spectacles 2.0 only exists through reports from unnamed sources — Snap has yet to announce anything officially.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- Samsung's new Galaxy S9 display is better than the iPhone X
- Millions of South Africans are turning to Norway to get their weather forecasts – here’s why
- The Maritzburg company that helps make Tesla cars, now brings wifi to millions of air travellers
- Low GI bread and bottled water - surprising products set for a VAT increase
- The mining industry really didn't like the last minister of minerals, but Gwede Mantashe is a pretty complicated guy
- He farms cabbages and sold life policies - 8 things you didn't know about Nhlanhla Nene
- The R1 billion yacht belonging to one of Russia's most eligible bachelors has just docked in Cape Tow
- Where to get the best paid jobs in government (and what to avoid)
- South Africans are probably eating Chinese honey that has been mixed with syrup, warns Wandile Sihlobo
- Barbra Streisand says she successfully made two clones of her pet dog, but that they have 'different personalities'
- South Africa's first black woman winemaker just launched her own brand — and the world can't get enough of it
- Steinhoff can't tell shareholders much – but promises to do 'whatever it takes' to stay afloat
- Even at 15%, South Africa is not paying too much in VAT compared to the rest of the world