1. Brace yourself: The Reserve Bank wants to hike interest rates. In its biannual policy review, the banks said inflation remains “uncomfortably” near the upper end of its target range, which may force it to hike rates. “Although we have talked about raising interest rates, we are not contemplating emergency hikes of hundreds of basis points,” said central bank governor Lesetja Kganyago. The bank lowered the repo rate to 6.5% in March, but now predicts that it could hit 7.7% by end-2020.
2. Despite the prospect of higher interest rates – which should make the rand more attractive – the currency fell by a percent overnight and was last trading at R14.70/$. This should not scupper a petrol price cut. According to the latest estimates, petrol prices could be lowered by up to 10c a litre in the first week of November.
3. MTN now has 225.4 million subscribers, after gaining another 2.5 million in the three months to end-September. But the strong growth was outside of South Africa – at home, the company lost more than 800,000 pre-paid subscribers. Revenue in Nigeria jumped by more than 17% compared to only 3% growth in South Africa. MTN is still on track to list on the Nigerian stock exchange next year, despite its battles with that country’s government.
4. Nedbank has dropped KPMG as its auditor – the bank was one of the embattled audit firm’s last major clients.
5. Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies has admitted that he mingled with the Guptas. But so did many other politicians - including Western Cape Premier Helen Zille, he said.
The images range from stunning landscapes to subtle portraits and dramatic encounters in the animal kingdom in categories such as "Splash of Colours," "Sports in Action," and "Fascinating Faces and Characters."
The 2018 contest received 48,000 submissions from 156 countries. Here are 20 of the winners.
"The art of regeneration is an urban renewal project through public art and design. 'Playground' is a public basketball court located in Alessandria (Italy) designed by the Italian artist GUE. Public art is a response to urban degeneration. It can contribute to civic identity, has educational value, promotes social change, and encourages economic development. It is a way to transform a space into a place."
"The Holi Festival is a yearly Indian celebration announcing the arrival of spring, with a colourful atmosphere that radiates love and happiness."
"Early in the morning before sunrise up to a hundred boats meet at the colourful Lok Baintan Floating Market in Indonesia. It is one of the oldest markets in Asia where the inhabitants still trade from traditional wooden boats."
"Wuqi Manuo is a respected elder who lives in the village of Meigu in the mountainous area of Dalaing. He is the head of the Yi ethnic community and occupies a prominent position in his community."
"Yamea, 58, who has been a 'Sapeur' for half a century, brings colour and joie de vivre to his community. He has nine children and works as a bricklayer. His favourite item of clothing is his hat. La Sape, Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Élégantes (Society of Ambiance Makers & Elegant People) is a fashion subculture in the cities of Kinshasa (DRC) and Brazzaville (Republic of the Congo). Someone who follows La Sape is known as a Sapeur."
"In Ethiopia, the kids of the Suri tribe are being over-protected by their families. Imagine these metal handcrafts as a jail with a Suri kid locked inside. Young kids are the hope and inheritors of the Suri culture, but the over protection will marginalise the new generation from the world."
"A group of Chinstrap Penguins (Pygoscelis Antarctica) is resting on an iceberg. When sailing Antarctic waters you will often see different types of icebergs. Some of these floating islands are great resting places for hunting penguins who can travel many kilometres, before jumping back into the icy water."
"In the desert of Dahana, in the centre of Saudi Arabia, Bedouins migrate with camels from place to place, searching for food and water. I took this picture while a group of nomads was passing us with their camels, creating beautiful shadows in a peaceful atmosphere."
"This photograph was taken during a violent night eruption of the Calbuco volcano in the Lagos region, Chile. An incredible dirt storm wraps the fumarole of the erupting volcano."
"Sverre Lunde Pedersen of Norway competes in the 10,000m Men's All-around Race, on day three of the ISU European Speed Skating Championships 2017, held at the Thialf Stadium in Heerenveen, Netherlands."
"Athletes compete in the Men's 10,000 meters final at Hampden Park during day nine of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games."
"The Spanish 'rejoneador' (bullfighter on horseback), Andy Cartagena, in La Macarena de Medellín 'Plaza de Toros', is being run over by a bull."
"The pole vaulter makes his final jump, decisive to proclaim himself the winner of the event. The moment is captured in the reflection generated by the intense rains on the ground."
"The sperm whales pictured here had just emerged from milling around in a gigantic cluster, with many of the whales defecating to such an extent that the water was opaque with secretions. This scene was part of a large, multi-day aggregation comprising hundreds, perhaps thousands of whales."
"A young and inexperienced tiger cub attempts to hunt a chital (spotted deer) in Ranthambore National Park, India; but the chital turned out to be too big for this young cub. I captured the moment when the tiger cub was struggling to get the prey down, as his siblings and mother were watching from a distance."
"A leopard seal got into a lagoon just before low tide. The seal was hiding, waiting to ambush young penguins as they got closer. When a penguin got close enough, the seal moved extremely fast and caught the penguin by its feet dragging it to the open water. I was following parallel to the action. The seal released the penguin twice and the terrified penguin succeeded in escaping, but the seal continued chasing after it, and on the third attempt, drowned the penguin and devoured it."
"This picture is from the 'Lost America series' and shows a quiet stillness in a forgotten landscape that is somehow 'on-pause.' Spaces appear frozen in time, their inhabitants, absent or long since departed. Ardently stagnant in their appearance, the images aim to unlock a moment of reflective contemplation and instil a melancholic feeling of familiarity."
"The football field of Henningsvær, in the beautiful Lofoten Islands in Norway, is considered to be one of the most amazing football fields in Europe, and maybe even in the world."
"This picture of some Russian dachas near the city of Arkhangelsk is interesting thanks to the intense contrast between the colours of the houses and the white snow covering the Russian town."
"In Cox's Bazar, Asmat Ara looks clearly traumatised after the recent violence which took place in Myanmar, on September 6th, 2017. The previous night she had entered Tenkhali Rohingya refugee camp with her family from Kumar Khali, Myanmar Rohingya state. According to the UNHCR, more than 646,000 Rohingya refugees have fled from Myanmar since August 25th, 2017, most of them trying to cross the border to reach Bangladesh."
Reporting by Talia Lakritz
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa