This is how many Rascals, Cream Caramels, and Wine Gums you are supposed to eat
- High-sugar sweets tend to have serving sizes much smaller than the packets they are sold in. Some more so than others.
- The recommended serving size for Rascals means you ideally need another person to share a small bag with.
- When it comes to wine gums, you're going to need a lot more friends – or a couple of weeks to finish it by yourself.
Sugar-rich sweets in South Africa are typically sold in multiples of their recommended serving sizes – which means you are not actually supposed to eat an entire small bag of Jelly Tots or a carton of Smarties in one go.
But for some sweets that is more true than others. Our measurements show that by the recommended weight per serving, you are supposed to eat only half a pack of Rascals at a time. For Cream Caramels the situation is more dire – and for wine gums it is catastrophic.
Here is how many Rascals, Cream Caramels, and wine gums you are supposed to eat at a time, and what that looks like.
Rascals: 21 pieces
The Mister Sweet Rascals (fruity flavours) sells in a standard 50 gram pack, which contains just over double the recommended daily intake of sugar for adults. The serving size, though, is 25 grams.
That is, conveniently enough, exactly half a pack of Rascals, which comes to 21 pieces. Here is what that looks like.
Cream Caramel: 1 piece
Wilson's Cream Caramels, the creamy toffee cut up into little squares, is sold in boxes no smaller than 64 grams. At that weight a box comes in at not much under the total recommended daily intake of sugar. But a single serving is 6.5 grams.
Each 64-gram box contains ten pieces of toffee, and they are not perfectly evenly cut, so with a little bit of trail and error you can find a single piece that comes to 6.5 grams rather than the regulation 6.4 grams each should be. Here is what that looks like.
Wine gums: 1 piece
Maynards Wine Gums, made by Tiger Brands, is sold in different shapes and sizes. A small bag comes in at 75 grams, which contains almost exactly the same amount of sugar recommended per day for adults. But the manufacturer considers a single serving to be 3 grams – or some 4% of the small bag.
That means you are supposed to eat one wine gum at a time – and either invite 22 friends around to share the bag, or eat it over the course of three weeks.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We shopped for school supplies at Checkers, Pick n Pay and others - here's how prices compared
- These were 2018’s top South African shares – and the biggest stinkers
- Watch: I swam with seals in Cape Town - here's what it's like to play with the 'puppies of the ocean'
- The tallest skyscrapers of 2018 include a helipad, sky gardens, and an indoor skating rink
- The global economy is 'already on an irreversible path' to a downturn, Nomura says