SA men are trying to get out of Valentine's Day with this hilarious escape plan
- Invitations and even itineraries to a fictional "secret men's conference" have been doing the rounds on SA social media.
- The "conference" is conveniently scheduled so that "participants" would have to miss Valentine's Day.
- But at least one partner is catching on.
Valentine's Day is all sweetness and delight, but it certainly doesn't come cheap, to the point that South African men have hatched a hilarious escape plan that's currently going viral across local social media.
Of course, the conference is a total fiction - but this is not preventing scores of South African men from posting reminders, invitations and even itineraries across social media.
Konje there’s a Men’s conference from the 13th of Feb till the 15th, those who are attending wont sleep at home cause its a camp????????— Tshepo Mashego (@TshepoTsala) January 26, 2019
A look at the cleverly coordinated dates tells you that the conference is conveniently scheduled to take place over Valentine's - meaning those attending will unfortunately have to skip on the day's activities like expensive candle lit dinner dates and gifts.
You tired of being the only one buying gifts in a relationships? You tired of being the only one serving juicy lunches on Valentines and get none in return? Or maybe you single and lonely ? We got you fam! Men's conference is at your service!— @Hendry Vankl?p?? (@p_vankl) February 6, 2019
Though the location of the conference remains undisclosed in most of the invitations, itineraries were released and they're as amusing as the escape plan itself. The 'free-to-attend' conference is set to be opened with a prayer by controversial self-proclaimed prophet Paseka 'Mboro' Motsoeneng followed by addresses on 'size' by former finance minister, Malusi Gigaba.
Former president Jacob Zuma is set to also address attendees on polygamy while the leader of the Economic Freedom Party (EFF) Julius Malema will give a talk on weight-loss.
Those who have secured their seats are sharing legitimate looking photos of tickets and booking confirmations.
Some of the speakers listed on the programme have even confirmed that they will be delivering addresses at the conference:
DJ Fresh had to pull out of a set at the conference after being denied permission by his spouse but DJ Tira says he's still on to play at the after-party.
Updates of attendees including "international guests" either on their way to the conference or posting check-ins from the undisclosed location have been emerging.
International guests representing the British delegation have arrived early for check in. They were received by myself and a few other members of the NEC's portfolio organising committee. #MensConference #MensValentinesConference #MensConference2019 pic.twitter.com/RInyC5v6Wt— Head of Organising, Men's National Conference. (@ChrisMpehle) February 13, 2019
But at least one partner is catching on:
We have received a notification that there is a men's conference taking place from the 14th to the 16th of february. Therefore we would like to inform you that valentine has also been moved to the 17th of february.— Hazael the liar (@HazaelAmmanda) February 4, 2019
Any inconviniences caused is sincerely regretted.
For more go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Vandalism of South Africa's cellphone network nearly doubles during load shedding
- EskomSePush has exploded as SA's go-to load shedding app - it grew from 2,500 users to 300,000 in a week
- This young entrepreneur sold out all his luxury leather bags after a single tweet - even Cyril Ramaphosa has one
- Fantastic last-minute Valentine's gifts to order online now
- European colonizers killed so many indigenous Americans that the planet cooled down, a new study reveals
- FNB clients have won more than R800 million in the Lotto by playing via the bank
- This MTN boss could make billions from the massive Brulpadda gas find – and e.tv’s owner could also benefit