Samsung's Galaxy S11 phone will reportedly sport a crazy 108-megapixel camera to challenge Apple's iPhone 11
- Samsung's next-generation S11 smartphone will reportedly sport an ultra high-resolution 108-megapixel camera, Bloomberg reports.
- Bloomberg reported the phone - slated for release in 2020 - will also sport 3 other cameras in addition to the main lens.
- The camera has increasingly become the battleground in high-end smartphones, as makers including Huawei, Apple, and Samsung try and differentiate devices that are otherwise similar in specs and hardware features.
- Samsung said it won't comment on speculation.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The camera has quickly become the battleground in high-end smartphones.
According to Bloomberg, Samsung is planning to outdo Apple with its rumored upcoming Galaxy S11 phone with an ultra high-resolution 108 megapixel camera.
Citing unidentified sources familiar with Samsung's plans, the publication said the S11 will sport a 108-megapixel sensor for the main camera, plus three more on the back of the device, including an ultrawide-angle lens and 5x optical zoom.
Leaked renderings of the S11 appear to corroborate the report, as they show a large bump on the back of the phone. Bloomberg reported that the 108-megapixel camera will also be extended to Samsung's as-yet-unannounced 'clamshell device,' which is also set for release next year.
Samsung said it didn't comment on rumor or speculation when contacted by Business Insider.
The camera has increasingly become the way major smartphone manufacturers try and outdo the competition, as they try and tempt consumers to upgrade their devices. The physical format of high-end smartphones hasn't changed in years, but manufacturers are trying to meet the challenge of squashing more camera tech into a compact space.
Samsung's reported plans align firmly with its recent policy of trying to dazzle the competition into submission.
The company has embraced a raft of emerging technologies in recent months, most notably foldable phones and 5G.
Unveiled amid significant hype in September, the Samsung Galaxy Fold was set back by early users reporting that the phone's foldable hinge was breaking after only days of use.
A bug was also discovered in its latest Galaxy S phone, the S10, that let anyone unlock the phone with any fingerprint by simply applying a cheap screen protector.
The S11 will represent Samsung's challenger to Apple's iPhone 11. Released in September, the iPhone 11 sports a relatively modest 12-megapixel camera - one of two rear cameras on the device.
Though Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken a bullishly positive stance on the iPhone 11's sales potential, the S11 represents a solid opportunity for Samsung to gain ground on Apple in the smartphone stakes amid the latter's transition towards wearable devices and services.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The man in charge of SAA’s business rescue once had to sort out SA’s biggest company failure - here’s how that worked out
- Take a look inside: This apartment was sold for R59 million - it may be the priciest deal in SA this year
- Russian secret agents have reportedly been operating out of villages in the French Alps
- Chinese Vivo cellphones are now on sale in SA for R1,900. Here are some of our favourite features
- South Africa has the most expensive home fibre internet connections of any country, according to a new survey
- SAA in business rescue: What it means and its odds for survival
- Here are one bank's 10 'outrageous' predictions that could shake markets in 2020