Samsung's new Galaxy Buds+ will cost R1,200 less than Apple's Airpods Pro — here's what we know
- The Samsung Galaxy Buds+ are both cheaper and have longer battery life than Apple's entire AirPods lineup - and they now work with iPhone.
- How much cheaper? The Samsung Galaxy Buds+ cost just R2,999 compared to the AirPods that start at R4,199.
- For more, go to Business Insider's home page.
In the same breath as it debuted the new lineup of Galaxy S20 phones, Samsung has unveiled its next-generation, truly wireless earbuds: Samsung Galaxy Buds+. These new earbuds from Samsung swing a serious sucker punch toward Apple and its AirPods - here's why.
For one, the Galaxy Buds+ are surprisingly compatible with iOS devices, namely the iPhone starting with iOS 10. This means that they're actually up for your consideration against Apple's ubiquitous AirPods if you own an iPhone.
Secondly, the Galaxy Buds+ last more than twice as long on a charge as the AirPods (five hours) and AirPods Pro (4.5 hours) at a whopping 11 hours of listening time and 7.5 hours of talk time. Better yet, just three minutes of charging equates to one hour of playback time.
Finally, Samsung has priced the Galaxy Buds in an extremely competitive way. These earbuds are even cheaper than Apple's most affordable AirPods. That's pretty wild considering their superior battery life.
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ price
So, how much do Samsung's shiny, new true wireless earbuds cost? They call for just (R2,999) - a whopping R1,200 less than Apple's latest Airpods Pro earbuds.
Meanwhile, these Samsung headphones manage to come in cheaper than the original AirPods. You can also get the Galaxy Buds+ in three more colors than the AirPods: black, white, blue, and red.
Now that these headphones are natively compatible with iOS devices somehow, Samsung may have become the first truly serious challenger to Apple's stranglehold on the wireless earbuds scene. H
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ specifications
Here are the basic specifications for the Galaxy Buds+, which are tuned by AKG audio software, feature two-way dynamic speakers and include three microphones total for stronger voice quality.
- Battery capacity: Earbuds: 85mAh; Case: 270mAh
- Play time: Earbuds: 11 hours; Case + Earbuds: 22 hours
- Talk time: Earbuds: 7.5 hours; Case + Earbuds: 15 hours
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5
- Speaker: two-way dynamic (woofer + tweeter)
- Microphones: two outer; one inner
- Compatibility: Android 5.0 (RAM 1.5GB) and up; iPhone 7 (iOS 10) and up
- Durability: Splash resistant (IPX2)
- Audio Codec: SBC, AAC, scalable
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ release date
Unfortunately, we don't yet know the exact release date for the Samsung Galaxy Buds+. It's likely that they'll launch part and parcel with the Galaxy S20 phones, later this month in South Africa, but we can't be certain.
So, it's increasingly likely that these earbuds will launch in March, when the Galaxy S20 phones become generally available.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA can’t be both an under-developed country and part of the G20, the US says in a trade rules update
- Police crackdowns on informal traders added to unemployment, says FNB
- Here’s what to do if you get bitten by a dog – or if you’re the dog owner
- As SAA struggles to survive, Air Italy will end operations and liquidate. It is the latest airline to fail
- EXPLAINER: The plan to bankroll Eskom with government employee pensions
- Coronavirus could infect 60% of the world's population if it is left 'unchecked,' a leading disease expert warned