These are the 20 safest SUVs for 2019
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) published its picks for the safest cars from model year 2019 in December.
- The organization gave 20 SUVs its "top safety pick" designation.
- Hyundai had four SUVs on the list, more than any other automaker.
- For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) released in December its picks for the safest cars from model year 2019. The organization gave 20 SUVs its "top safety pick" designation. Of those vehicles, nine were included in the organization's highest tier, "top safety pick+."
To earn "top safety pick+," a vehicle must perform well in a variety of crash tests. The vehicle must receive a "good" rating in tests related to its front, side, roof, and head restraints, an "advanced" or "superior" rating for front crash prevention and a "good" rating for its headlights. (The requirements to earn "top safety pick" are similar, though the vehicle can receive an "acceptable" rating for a test involving its front passenger-side small overlap and an "acceptable" rating for its headlights.)
These are the 20 safest SUVs for model year 2019, according to the IIHS.
BMW X2 — Top Safety Pick
Honda CR-V — Top Safety Pick
Hyundai Kona — Top Safety Pick+
Hyundai Tucson — Top Safety Pick
Mazda CX-5 — Top Safety Pick+
Mitsubishi Outlander — Top Safety Pick
Subaru Forester — Top Safety Pick
Honda Pilot — Top Safety Pick
Hyundai Santa Fe — Top Safety Pick+
Hyundai Santa Fe XL — Top Safety Pick
Kia Sorento — Top Safety Pick+
Mazda CX-9 — Top Safety Pick
Nissan Pathfinder — Top Safety Pick
Subaru Ascent — Top Safety Pick+
Toyota Highlander — Top Safety Pick
Acura RDX — Top Safety Pick+
BMW X3 — Top Safety Pick+
Mercedes-Benz GLC — Top Safety Pick+
Mercedes-Benz GLE — Top Safety Pick+
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Shoprite’s CEO has taken a R20 million bet on the company with his own money – and so far it's not going his way
- The UK will ignore US pressure to ban Huawei from its 5G network, 2 months before Trump's state visit
- A relationship expert identified 5 warning signs of unhealthy love
- 13 mind-blowing facts that show just how over-the-top the world's most luxurious hotel, a $1 billion hotel on a man-made island in Dubai, really is
- A cheetah was released into the wild only to be mauled by predators – 3 years later Mauritz has made a remarkable recovery