- Qatar Airways is giving away 100,000 free tickets to healthcare professionals across the world.
- South African doctors, nurses, paramedics, pharmacists, and clinical researchers stand a chance to win two economy-class tickets each.
- The first giveaway starts on Monday evening, and there will be a daily chance to get the tickets over the next week.
- For more articles, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Qatar Airways is giving away 100,000 free tickets to frontline healthcare professionals, including South African medical staff.
Doctors, medical practitioners, nurses, paramedics, pharmacists, lab technicians and clinical researchers can win two free economy-class tickets each to anywhere on the airline’s global network.
The giveaway starts tonight (11 May), just after 23:00 (00:01 Doha time).
South African healthcare workers need to register at qatarairways.com/ThankYouHeroes, and will receive tickets offered on a first come, first served basis.
Each country will receive a daily allocation of tickets, depending on its population size, staggered over a seven-day period.
The daily allocation will be released at 00:01 Doha time (which is 23:01 the previous night in South Africa) throughout the campaign period.
Tickets must be booked before 26 November, with travel valid until 10 December 2020. The tickets will beflexible, with an unlimited number of destination or date changes allowed without any fees. Fare and surcharges will be waived on tickets, but airport taxes apply.
A valid employer ID must be presented at the airport at the point of check in.
Qatar Airways says the free tickets are a token of gratitude for the commitment and hard work of healthcare professionals amid the global coronavirus crisis.
The pandemic has paralysed the global airline industry, with British Airways and Ryanair announcing thousands of job cuts, while Virgin Australia filed for bankruptcy.
Qatar Airways says it should be able to fly to an initial 52 destinations by the end of May and 80 in June, as it expects countries will start to relax entry requirements.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Covid-19: All the financial help and information you need
- Apple’s iPhone SE will be in SA from today, but it's a bit pricier than we thought
- UIF Covid-19 payout trouble: These are the most common problems holding back the cash
- E-mail applications for the R350 unemployment grant are now open
- SAA Voyager miles are now worthless - until at least August
- If air travel ever goes back to pre-Covid-19 levels in SA, getting a seat may be tough