Watch: A robot walks the runway for the first time at London Fashion Week
- A robot modeled couture designs at London Fashion Week for the first time.
- The debut was a collaboration between a robotics company and designer, Honee Persona.
- The company deemed it a great example of how robotics can expand into new fields.
London Fashion Week runway went cyberpunk when a robot was rolled down the runway as part of a collaboration between Silicon Valley's OhmniLabs Robotics Company and Los Angeles-based designer Honee Persona.
The robot was covered in crystals.
"I want to bring an awareness that AI, as wonderful as technology is, it can never replace human beings. We have the energy. We are the creator," said Persona.
Omnilabs' spokesperson, Dhana Pawar said the event was a great showcase, adding to uses such as senior care, healthcare, education, the uses for robots that people already love.
"This is a great example of how we can expand robotics into fashion as well," said Pawar.
Not everyone was impressed, with one attendee saying the robot had looked like "an iPad on a stand".
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We tasted the first lab-grown sausage made without slaughtering any animals – here's what it was like
- This is officially what the new iPhone Xs will cost in South Africa - R5,000 more than the Samsung Note
- We tested Burger King's limited edition milk tart milkshake - and it's so good we don't want to see it go
- How scammers target single South African women online – then make them pay and pay for ‘gifts’
- This South African travelled the world filming over 400 strangers dancing – and became a sensation