Watch: These are the best robot painters in the world
- Winners of the third robot art competition have been announced.
- The competition saw teams showcasing their robots' abilities and creating artworks.
- The winner, a robot called CloudPainter, walked away with over R500,000.
The third robot art competition, this year worth R1.3 million ($100,000, saw 19 global teams submit over 100 robot-created artworks – and some of it isn't bad.
Winners were determined based on a combination of public voting, expert judging, and how well the team met the spirit of the competition.
Robots had to create something beautiful using a physical brush, and had to share what they learned with others.
The 2018 first place winner, who gets R540,000 ($40,000), was the CloudPainter robot.
In second place, winning R337,650 ($25,000), was Columbia University, with paintings including a portrait of Muhammad Ali.
The competition is organised by Mechanical Engineer, Andrew Conru.
Receive a single Whatsapp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The 18 biggest mistakes you can make on your tax return this year
- This new insurance policy for wealthy South Africans includes cover for Bitcoin theft and self-driving car accidents
- There's a secret game inside your new bank notes - here's how to play
- Eskom's debt is now more than SA's total budget for health and education - here are 4 things you should know about its shocking numbers
- Naspers-owned company buys an Israeli start-up, whose tech is already used by South African taxi's