- Ricoffy, SA's most popular coffee brand, has released an iced coffee range.
- Our group of tasters were positive about it, with the majority ranking it above a seven out of ten.
- Ice cold is the best way to drink it.
- For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
While your local barista may scoff, Ricoffy remains by far the most popular brand of coffee in the country. It accounts for six out of ten cups of coffee consumed in the country, according to the brand’s owner Nestlé.
In time for summer, it launched a new Ricoffy n’Ice iced coffee range in South Africa.
The range comes in 250ml bottles and in four flavours: original, vanilla, caramel and mocha.
The iced coffee is quite sweet: 8.3g per 100ml serving by comparison, compared with Steri Stumpie’s 10g per 100ml.
According to a Nescafe's representative, the new product reflects the fact that the average South African consumer enjoys a sweet, milky cup of coffee.
The iced coffees retail for around R18, although we picked up two for R29.99 at our local BP garage.
We rounded up a group of tasters, which included a couple of coffee snobs, for a blind tasting of the new product.
Only one participant guessed that it was Ricoffy, although a couple of others thought that it must be an instant coffee brand.
Overall the reception was positive – the majority of tasters scored it above a seven out of ten.
Read: South Africa has new draft rules about hot drinks, and Ricoffy, Frisco, and Koffiehuis are definitely not coffee – not even nearly
While most reported that the drink was the right amount of creamy, it also has a strong, dark colour with a solid caffeine kick.
While sweet, there were no complaints that it was too sugary. It also didn’t have any unpleasant aftertaste.
Among the tasters, the mocha and caramel flavours stood out, with the latter being described as a “dessert drink”.
Those who didn’t like it, thought it tasted a bit too much like coffee "when you let it stand", as one described it.
“It tastes and look exactly like cold Ricoffy coffee, with too much long-life milk. A bit like old coffee,” another one said.
“Whether you like this will depend on whether you like Ricoffy."
One taster remarked that it would therefore be best to enjoy it super cold, to put tasting distance between it and lukewarm coffee.
Receive a daily update with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Two Gupta guest houses in Constantia, Umhlanga could fetch more than R20 million
- South African model claims Jeffrey Epstein repeatedly raped her - and asked for nude photos weeks before his death
- These prime Gupta properties will be auctioned soon - including the infamous Saxonwold compound
- Kulula, BA planes may have to be serviced overseas if strike drags on - FlySafair says it can't help
- Most countries don’t own an airline - South Africa is part of a shrinking group, with only a handful making money
- South African model claims Jeffrey Epstein repeatedly raped her - and asked for nude photo