A SA designer made R2,000 Swarovski-embellished masks – and they sold out
- High-end fashion designer Rich Mnisi's R1,999 face masks featuring Swarovski crystals have sold out.
- Other designer opted to make "affordable" masks.
- Mnisi's publicist says the designer was shocked the public's negative reaction to his prices.
- For more articles, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
South African fashion designer Rich Mnisi's R1,999 face masks have sold out, despite a social media outcry about the price tag.
The fashionable masks fall under Mnisi's ALKEBULAN collection, and there is a cheaper, R399 version.
The collection also includes a 5-pack of filters that are available at an extra R199. The price excludes shipping and VAT.
A portion of the proceeds from the cloth face masks will go to support local charities affected by the pandemic.
Several other South African high-end designers opted to make their masks "affordable"; a MaXhosa face mask by designer, Laduma Ngxokolo will set you back R600, while Gert-Johan Coetzee's masks cost between R180 and R380 each.
Mnisi's rather different price point attracted some attention – and criticism.
It is unclear how many masks were made. It is also unclear how much the designer had donated to charity.
Mnisi's publicist told Business Insider South Africa only that Mnisi was unsettled by how people on social media had reacted to his masks, and refused to comment further.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- How to boost your firm's chance of getting money from SA's R200 billion Covid-19 loan scheme
- TAKE A LOOK: How Virgin Active gyms will change - no sweat towels and you have to book your spot
- Covid-19: Dis-Chem may now test you for free - if you’re unemployed or without medical aid
- Taxi fares on most Joburg routes will more than double next week - unless govt steps in
- Recreational fishing is now allowed - here are some of SA’s best spots