Two Cape Town houses have just been rented out for almost R1 million for only four nights
- In a single booking, two houses in Cape Town were rented out for almost R1 million for only four days.
- The two homes are in Clifton.
- The booking could be a sign that the Cape tourism market is recovering.
Two luxury homes in Clifton, Cape Town, have been rented for R960,000 over four days in a single booking.
The two properties will accommodate a group of international holidaymakers making their way to the country, Denise Dogon, CEO of Dogon Group Properties, said in a statement.
The two houses previously achieved rentals of up to R130,000 per night during the winter season.
"These Clifton properties are nestled against the slopes of Lion's Head, in one of the most prime positions in the country, with uninterrupted coastal views and pristine natural landscape,” Dogon said.
She added that her group has seen an upswing in holiday rentals the past few weeks.
The drought and international media coverage about Cape Town's Day Zero have impacted tourism in the city. A survey by Wesgro, Cape Town's official tourism promotion agency, found that peak season January and February hotel bookings this year were between 10% and 15% down when compared to the same period last year.
"There seems to be a real positive energy and resurgence in holiday rentals this year with the rainfall we have had in Cape Town bringing life back to our tourism sector,” Dogon said.
She said the Atlantic Seaboard is still the preferred location for holidaymakers, and earn the highest rentals. But other areas such as Constantia is also seeing more interest.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Watch: A South African telescope just found a runaway star racing at more than 2,000km a second
- After a R1.7 billion deal, taxi operators who don’t pay back their loans will answer to their peers
- ‘Uber for bakkies’ is coming to a city near you after a former MTN exec invested millions
- These are some of the early Black Friday deals available right now – including kids clothes, doors, laptops, and a sandwich maker