People think Queen Elizabeth II shaded Trump by wearing a tiara that’s a ‘symbol of protection against illness and evil’
- Queen Elizabeth II wore a Burmese Ruby Tiara that guards the wearer "not only against illness, but also against evil," while hosting President Donald Trump during his United Kingdom visit.
- Twitter users were quick to make assumptions about why the queen opted to wear that tiara with Trump.
- For more, go to Business Insider SA.
The royal family hosted a lavish banquet at Buckingham Palace on Monday night to honour President Donald Trump's United Kingdom visit.
Attendees were decked out in sparkling jewels, ball gowns, and tuxedos with tails. Many people on social media particularly took note of Queen Elizabeth II's Burmese Ruby Tiara. According to the Royal Exhibitions website, the 96 rubies set into the tiara "represent the number of diseases that the Burmese people believe can afflict the human body."
"They credit the ruby with prophylactic properties guarding the wearer not only against illness, but also against evil," the site explains.
Twitter users were quick to make assumptions about why the queen opted to wear that tiara with Trump.
The British royal family owns a deep trove of tiaras and crowns and Queen Elizabeth II is most often spotted wearing the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland Tiara.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The National Credit Regulator tried to ‘protect fraudsters’ from Sars and the big banks – but the appeals court isn't keen
- Another SA company has admitted its financials are wrong - what you need to know about the crisis at Tongaat Hulett
- South Africans can now get banned from Uber for being rude to drivers – here’s what we know so far
- A 260km trip to the bank: here’s how hard Standard Bank’s branch closures will hit the Northern Cape, Free State, and other provinces
- Tongaat Hulett scandal: Deloitte replaces senior auditors and launches an internal investigation