Listeria is hitting processed meat, but SA’s biggest egg producer just proved there is life after avian flu at least
- Quantum Foods is the largest egg producer in South Africa.
- It was hit, hard, by avian flu – aggravated by drought and resulting high input costs.
- On Wednesday it said it would soon report a 516% increase in headline earnings per share, and investors were overjoyed.
Quantum Foods will report at least a 516% increase in headline earnings per share (HEPS) for the six months to the end of March, the company told investors in a trading update on Wednesday. Shares price quickly shot up from around R4 to around R5 – gains it held on to on Thursday.
That may be good news for listeria-hit companies still in the middle of their own crisis.
In the middle of 2017 Quantum "depopulated" two of its sites of chickens after an outbreak of Avian Influenza – which the company said was despite stringent bio-security measures.
The company quickly ramped up other farms to bring its egg production back up to the usual levels. It has not yet reported its subsequent numbers, but Wednesday's trading statement suggests the plan worked.
Quantum is the biggest egg producer in South Africa and operates its own Nulaid Eggs brand was well as the Nova Feeds business, on top of a broiler-chicken operation.
The bird flu outbreak was compounded by the worst drought in 40 years, which caused Quantum's input costs to spike even as output plummeted.
Input costs have since decreased. The low input costs are seeing a good performance from food stocks, said equity analyst Anthony Clark, who runs a portfolio of food stocks at Vunani Securities.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here
- Video games, chewing gum and driving lessons are some of the products Stats SA uses to calculate South Africa's cost of living
- The Free State could be producing 5% of the world’s helium soon – and that could change much more than just the party-balloon market
- What Stephen Hawking thought about boy bands, black holes and aliens
- Spotify is now in South Africa – 3 reasons why Apple Music is still better
- Civil servants' pee will be used to water a new green feature in Cape Town
- With this new dating app, you pick a match by listening to their voice, not viewing their picture — here's how it works
- Most vitamins are useless, but here are the ones you should take
- 15 things you're doing that make people dislike you immediately
- The 7 biggest questions we had after watching 'Black Panther', and hope are answered in the seque
- A mysterious property company just paid R150 million for a very unassuming building in Cape Town
- An OUTsurance founder just landed a R350 million payday – but he's not shopping for private islands just quite yet
- Google cofounder Larry Page has been secretly testing flying taxis in New Zealand
- Opel will build thousands of cars in Namibia – barely a year after leaving South Africa
- Nescafé, Ricoffy and Frisco are at war – which means cheaper prices for instant coffee drinker