Qatar Airways is giving away free(ish) flights to SA teachers – here’s how to get one
- Qatar Airways is giving away tens of thousands of mostly-free flights to school teachers, including in South Africa.
- Teachers who can provide a staff ID number, and show it at the airport, can get an international return flight – but they'll have to pay airport taxes.
- And if they want a companion on the trip, half the cost of that ticket will be theirs to carry.
- Qatar has previously given away flights to doctors and nurses, in a similar show of appreciation.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
South African school teachers can now register to stand a chance of winning a mostly-free return flight, to pretty much anywhere in the world, via a Qatar Airways giveaway.
The airline says it is giving away 21,000 tickets in total to teachers to thank them "for their vital work in educating young people worldwide during the challenges brought by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic".
Teachers need only register on the Qatar website for a chance at one of the tickets, with some form of staff identification to hand. That confirmation of a teaching position will have to be shown at the airport too, to claim the actual trip.
Registration closes at 03:00, South African time, on Thursday.
Teachers who bag one of the tickets must book their travel by 1 November this year, but that booking can be for flights up to the end of of September 2021.
Though the flight itself is free, in an economy-class seat, recipients will need to pay some additional fees themselves. For a flight to Doha, that will come in at around R1,000.
Each recipient of a free ticket also gets a 50% discount code for another seat, which can be used to take a companion on the trip, or for a different flight. That discount does not apply to additional fees and taxes, which come in at around R4,500 for a flight to Doha.
The offer is limited to school teachers, which Qatar Airways classifies as a position with one of these titles: Classroom Paraprofessional, Teaching Assistant & Substitute, Intervention & Inclusion Specialist, Tutor, Senior Leader, Early Childhood Teacher, Student counsellor, Primary Teacher, Secondary Teacher, Casual Teacher, ESL Teacher, Special Ed Teacher, Teacher Aide, Vocational Education and Training (VET) Instructor, Pre-School & Early Years Practitioner, and Classroom Technician.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA’s business travel rules: Your test is good for 14 days, and you can beg at the border
- Rain banned from claiming ‘unlimited data 24/7' on 5G due to inconsistent connections
- Ndabeni-Abrahams says her WhatsApp messages were hacked - here's what we know
- Trump's doctor won't breathe a 'deep sigh of relief' for another week
- Students can't pay extra for tuition and housing because academic year ends in 2021, govt rules
- Hidden location, password entry and a R360 cocktail - inside Cape Town’s secret bar