- Prince Philip told Prince Harry not to marry Meghan Markle because she was an actress, according to a report in The Sunday Times.
- The duke reportedly told his grandson that "one steps out with actresses, one doesn't marry them."
- Buckingham Palace is yet to comment on the claims, although the Evening Standard's Royal Editor Robert Jobson told INSIDER he "doesn't believe" the comments were said by the duke.
- For more stories, go to www.businessinsider.co.za.
Since becoming a member of the royal family just over a year ago, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex hasn't been able to avoid becoming the subject of headlines, with everyone seeming to have an opinion on the royal.
But one opinion which has recently come to light is Prince Philip's, who reportedly told Harry not to marry the former "Suits" star.
According to a report in The Sunday Times written by former Tatler journalist Sophia Money-Coutts, the duke didn't believe Markle was marriage material because of her previous profession as a television actress.
"Harry and Meghan's whirlwind romance lasted just over a year before Harry's intentions got serious," the article wrote.
"The Duke of Edinburgh apparently also chipped in - 'One steps out with actresses, one doesn't marry them,' he is said to have advised his grandson."
Markle starred as Rachel Zane in hit TV series "Suits" for seven seasons before getting engaged to Prince Harry in 2017.
She also had small roles in several Hollywood films, including "Horrible Bosses" with Jennifer Anniston and "Remember Me" with "Twilight" star Robert Pattinson.
Buckingham Palace had no comment on the reports, however the Evening Standard's Royal Editor Robert Jobson told INSIDER that he "doesn't believe the comments were made" by the duke.
The Sunday Times also reported that William had his concerns, apparently asking Harry, "Are you sure?" before he proposed in 2017.
The article goes on to suggest that a "senior member" of the family gave Markle the nickname "the degree wife, because she'll only last for three years."
Prince Harry appears to have a close relationship with his grandfather. The royal was even one of the first family members to meet his newborn son, baby Archie, after the birth last month.
Harry and Markle recently paid tribute to the duke's 98th birthday with a sweet Instagram post last week, so the three of them appear to be on good terms.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The new tourism minister just extended the comment period on her predecessors’s anti-Airbnb draft law
- This is how much it will cost you to open your own petrol station
- Trump kicked his chief of staff out of the Oval Office for coughing during a TV interview
- Terrifying passenger video captures severe turbulence that threw a flight attendant into the ceiling
- Facebook just took the wraps off 'Libra', a new cryptocurrency that will let anyone in the world pay with their smartphones
- Airbus says it has the technology to fly planes with no pilots, but the challenge will be convincing people to get on them