The Prince of Wales has contracted the coronavirus.
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
  • Britain's Prince Charles has tested positive for the coronavirus.
  • The 71-year-old heir to the throne is "displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health," a Clarence House spokesperson said in a statement.
  • The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus.
  • For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.

Prince Charles has become the first British royal to test positive for the coronavirus.

A Clarence House spokesperson confirmed the news to Insider, saying that while the prince is displaying "mild symptoms," he currently "remains in good health."

"The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual," a spokesperson said in a statement on Wednesday.

"The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland."

The statement continued: "The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing."

Clarence House was not able to confirm where or how the prince had contracted the virus. However, it's worth noting that the 71-year-old attended a roundtable discussion with Prince Albert of Monaco days before he tested positive for the virus earlier this month.

"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks," the statement added.

Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.

Also from Business Insider South Africa: