The pope apologised for slapping the hand of a woman who tried to yank him toward her
- Pope Francis apologised in a New Year's Day address for losing patience and smacking the hand of a woman who grabbed him.
- "I apologise for yesterday's bad example," he said.
- Videos of the incident showed the pope navigating a crowd when a woman reached out and grabbed his hand, yanking him toward her and initially refusing to let go.
- He then smacked the woman's hand as a security guard tried to loosen her grip.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Pope Francis apologised for smacking the hand of a woman who grabbed him on New Year's Eve.
In a New Year's Day address at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, Francis acknowledged the incident and spoke about the virtue of patience.
"So many times we lose our patience. Me too, and I apologise for yesterday's bad example," he said, according to The Washington Post.
Videos of the incident showed Francis walking alongside a crowd of people, greeting them and grasping some of their hands before turning away.
But as he pivoted, a woman reached out and grabbed his hand, yanking the pope towards her and initially refusing to let go.
Francis then smacked the woman's hand as a security guard tried to loosen her grip.
It's unclear who the woman was, or what she was trying to say to the pope.
Somewhat ironically, Francis also denounced violence against women in a later segment of his speech.
"Women are sources of life. Yet they are continually insulted, beaten, raped, forced to prostitute themselves and to suppress the life they bear in the womb," Francis said, according to CNN. "Every form of violence inflicted upon a woman is a blasphemy against God, who was born of a woman."
- Read more:
- Pope Francis obliquely addressed the Catholic Church's controversies during Christmas Eve Mass
- All of the 'Popemobiles' Pope Francis rode this year, from a Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen to a hydrogen-powered Toyota
- Instagram's former CEO once flew to the Vatican to personally help Pope Francis create an account
- Pope Francis compared rhetoric from anti-gay politicians to Hitler speeches
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The petrol price doubled over the past decade - with fuel tax jumping 132%
- Speculation is running wild on how former Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn fled Japan in an instrument case aboard a private jet
- Here’s what the top Apple and Samsung smart(ish) phones looked like 10 years ago
- The Polo Vivo has been SA’s favourite car for a decade – and it hasn’t really increased in price
- Revealed: The most Googled terms in South Africa over the past decade
- This is what a Big Mac cost a decade ago – and it’s a depressing reminder of how far the rand has fallen
- A South African family was robbed of all their belongings - including Christmas gifts and insulin - at a Niagara Falls Airbnb
- Wits engineers have built an affordable off the grid system - and they want it to power whole villages