- Cape Town 10s has added esports to its social rugby and sporting festival.
- It will now feature a R100,000 Counter Strike tournament.
- Teams can also qualify for R10,000 prize pools for the games Overwatch, PUBG, and Call of Duty.
Come February, an entirely different sort of athlete will be competing at the 2019 Cape Town 10s, one the biggest and most popular social sport and entertainment festivals in the world.
Known for its social dodgeball, rugby, and 5-a-side-soccer, tournament organisers have announced it will be adding esports, competitive PC and console gaming, this year.
Organisers say they are keen to get in on the fastest-growing sport in the world. Last year, SA’s top 10 esport stars earned R2.6 million playing FIFA and Counter Strike (CS:GO).
Cape Town 10s has partnered with SA esports brand Mettlestate and Out The Box Events to bring in the R100,000 CS:GO tournament.
Mettlestate is the same company which landed a R10 million investment from prepaid cellphone product and service company Smartcall to drive growth in the South African gaming and esports industry.
"Esports is still in its infancy in South Africa, and we have only just started to be recognised on the international stage," said Barry Louzada, Mettlestate co-owner.
"Partnering with a major award-winning sporting event such as 10s does well to put the next step forward when it comes to helping us forge the future of esports in South Africa. We here at Mettlestate could not be more excited to bring esports to a whole new audience.”
Running in Green Point Cape Town on 1 and 2 February 2019, teams can also qualify for R10,000 prize pools for games Overwatch, PUBG, and Call of Duty at the event.
“We are really excited to announce the launch of Esports at the 10s," said Gerhardi Odendaal, CEO of Old School Group and an organiser.
"10s is all about offering people from all walks of life, level of skill and fitness the opportunity to compete in sport, make friends, relax and have fun in an environment where the experience of the contestant is the number one priority."
Cape Town 10s is the brainchild of rugby legends Bob Skinstad, Robbie Fleck, and Ron Rutland. It also features tournaments for fitness, hockey and dodgeball.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The world's richest man is divorcing - and he's reportedly dating a former TV anchor who's still married
- From Sasol to Shoprite, these 8 groups still have 2019 university bursaries up for grabs
- Woolworths admits trouble with its baby carrier design, yanks its Ubuntu Baba lookalike from shelves
- These are the top South African unit trusts right now – and the biggest losers
- A major SA retailer is now selling citrus specifically for gin – and people are freaking out
- This is what R300,000 a year buys you at SA’s most expensive high school – which just saw a fee increase of a whopping R22,000