Santam claimed the word 'I' with the help of an Afrikaans-speaking demon – now Old Mutual is trolling it
- Santam has a major new advertising campaign, prominently featuring a famous South African born actress, and the word "I".
- That just happens to be a not-insignificant part of the branding of a competing insurance offer from Old Mutual, iWYZE.
- This week Old Mutual iWYZE launched a campaign of its own: trolling Santam on Twitter.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Last week insurance company Santam launched a new advertising campaign called "Say I". It went big, hiring South African born actress Lesley-Ann Brandt, best known for playing an Afrikaans-speaking demon in the TV show "Lucifer", as the face of its offering.
In a television ad, reportedly featuring her first South African television work, Brandt urges South Africans to say "I" – or possible "aye" – to claim their posession and achievements.
That, apparently, caught the eye of a competing insurer, Old Mutual iWYZE. This week that brand launched its own video featuring "I", as well as visuals that very closely match those of Santam.
Then Old Mutual iWYZE started to post its video as replies to Santam on Twitter.
Here is the original ad by Santam, featuring Lesley-Ann Brandt:
And here is how Old Mutual's iWYZE quickly responded on Twitter.
(Compiled by Phillip de Wet)
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is how much it will cost to take your home off the grid - and avoid load shedding forever
- UPDATE: Woolworths says sorry for an apartheid-flag coloured bag it sold in South Africa – and has now yanked
- Bruce Whitfield: How crooks steal your future, again and again
- Uber launches in East London - after its application was opened 100,000 times there
- EOH non-exec directors want 40% pay increases to clean up ‘legacy governance issues’ that tanked the share price