Obama was inaugurated 10 years ago today — here's what newspapers looked like the next day
Ten years ago, on January 20, 2009, Barack Obama was inaugurated as president of the United States.
The historic event, watched by 38 million people nationwide, marked the first time an African-American assumed the office of the presidency.
Newspapers around the world reflected the significance of the inauguration on their front pages the following day.
Take a look at a few of the best front pages from around the world:
The Washington Post
The New York Times
The San Francisco Chronicle
The Chicago Tribune
The New York Daily News
The Columbian (Clark County, Washington)
Beeld (South Africa)
The Toronto Sun
The Guardian (United Kingdom)
The Daily Mail (United Kingdom)
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This app gives you free restaurant meals in SA - but you need to be beautiful
- Uber Eats and Mr D Food charge restaurants up to 30% commission – but ask them not to charge more
- SA parties just got an effective 33% discount to register for the 2019 elections
- Watch: Samsung has launched a new robot waiter - and one that cares for the elderly
- A Toto song will play ‘forever’ in the middle of the Namib desert – or at least until the sand eats it