- Nu Metro will reopen 16 of its flagship cinema complexes on Friday, August 28 – but over weekends only.
- VIP patrons will enjoy bar and sit-down restaurant services, and can order alcohol for consumption in the lounge area or in the auditorium.
- Popcorn seasoning containers will be replaced by sealed, disposable sachets.
- There will be a limit of 50 patrons in each auditorium with two seats between each customer, but a maximum of two people will be allowed to sit next to each other.
- For more stories, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za
Nu Metro has announced it will be reopening 16 of its flagship cinema complexes on Friday, August 28, but on weekends only.
In the initial opening, Nu Metro cinemas will be open to the public between Fridays and Sundays, and on holidays, within the 22:00 curfew that remains in place in Level 2.
The cinema chain has stressed its compliance with measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
“Our commitment and responsibility towards customers have never been stronger as we face this ‘new normal’ together,” said marketing and content executive Chantelle Burrows in a statement.
“Public’s safety, as well as the safety and health of our team members, is our highest priority.”
VIP cinemas will open as well and patrons there will be able to enjoy bar- and sit-down restaurant services. This includes ordering alcohol and meals for consumption either in the lounge area or in the auditorium while watching a movie.
According to Nu Metro spokesperson Walter Gelderblom, this is a "much safer restaurant and bar alternative" since people are apart from one another and don’t come in and out frequently.
Here’s what else to expect;
- Online bookings on Nu Metro’s website are encouraged, but on-site purchases will be made at self-service terminals, box office and catering counters.
- There will be at least a 1.5 metre distance between booked seats, and two seats will be blocked between customers. However, a maximum of two customers can sit next to each other in an auditorium.
- Popcorn seasoning shaker will be replaced by sealed, disposable sachets.
- Cinema capacity will be limited to 50 patrons per screening room, and time between shows will be staggered to avoid overcrowding in the foyer.
All cinemas, including 2D, 3D, and various premium cinemas, will be open.
These are the Nu Metro cinemas that will be first to re-open.
Masingita Mall, Giyani
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- You could soon rent for less than last year - as landlords may scramble to get tenants
- SA’s massive data breach actually happened in May – and took nearly three months to ‘contain’
- Credit bureau data disaster: Here’s what your bank says you should do
- Cigarettes are more expensive than before the lockdown ban – and it is about to get worse
- Locusts threaten the food supply of 20 million Africans - now experts want locals to eat the insects
- The life and rise of Tim Sweeney, the billionaire CEO behind 'Fortnite'