Netflix just took a jab at DStv in a new advert — here are 4 other times companies trolled each other
- Netflix has just released a funny ad mocking DStv.
- It comes in the wake of DStv's recent criticism of Netflix in South Africa.
- The ad is new, but there is a rich tradition of SA companies such as Nando's and Santam trolling each other.
DStv has recently been vocal in its unhappiness with the US online-streaming group Netflix, which entered South Africa in 2016.
Multichoice, which owns DStv, contends that Netflix has an unfair advantage, as it doesn’t face the same regulations as a licensed television player in SA.
In response, Netflix has been quiet - until now.
It's new "jokes aside, no installation required" campaign features comedian heavyweight Jason Golliath as a pay TV installation technician – for Netflix.
Another company will catch feelings here??????— Lungisa gobinamba (@Lungisagobinam1) July 23, 2018
There is a rich tradition of SA companies trolling each other through commercials:
Kulula vs SAA
Nando's vs Santam
Santam then fired back at Nando's with yet another Sir Ben Kingsely ad.
There are also plenty of international examples, including this ad - which was not released in circulation - from 2013.
Pepsi vs Coke
Receive a single Whatsapp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The 18 biggest mistakes you can make on your tax return this year
- This new insurance policy for wealthy South Africans includes cover for Bitcoin theft and self-driving car accidents
- There's a secret game inside your new bank notes - here's how to play
- Eskom's debt is now more than SA's total budget for health and education - here are 4 things you should know about its shocking numbers
- Naspers-owned company buys an Israeli start-up, whose tech is already used by South African taxi's