JSE rival A2X will be worth a massive R2 trillion - after SA's most valuable company Naspers lists there soon
- SA's most valuable company, Naspers, will be listing on the A2X bourse.
- A2X is a new securities exchange started in October 2017 aimed at low-cost secondary listings.
- Naspers' secondary listing on A2X will bring the market capitalisation of the baby exchange to a massive R2 trillion overnight.
The A2X platform will have a market capitalisation of over R2 trillion after Naspers' secondary listing there on 27 December 2018.
The global internet and entertainment group, which operates in more than 120 countries, is South Africa's most valuable company. It announced its A2X listing date on Tuesday morning.
Naspers will retain its primary listing on the JSE.
The new counter will bring to 15 the number of shares tradable on A2X, including Standard Bank and AVI.
See also: Standard Bank is listing with the JSE's biggest rival – 5 things you need to know about the A2X stock exchange
“We are thrilled to welcome Naspers onto the A2X platform. As the largest listed company in South Africa and one of the largest technology investors in the world, operating in more than 120 countries and markets, this is a great endorsement for the merits of a secondary listing,” says Kevin Brady, A2X CEO.
A2X says its end-to-end transaction costs are 50% lower than current trading costs in South Africa.
The exchange is purely aimed at secondary listings, which carries a low regulatory burden, and it is free to the listing company.
Since inception, activity levels on A2X have been growing steadily according to the exchange's latest quarterly update.
Business Insider SA is part of 24.com, a subsidiary of Media24, a Naspers company.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Chicken Licken’s ‘Big John’ ad has been banned as ‘triggering’ on colonialism
- An early retiree who interviewed 100 millionaires found many of them built their fortunes using a simple investment strategy championed by Warren Buffett
- Google just announced it's shutting down its Allo messaging app for good. Here are 18 other Google products that bombed, died, or disappeared
- 9 secrets sushi chefs swear by
- There's a science-backed trick for making smarter, quicker decisions
- I tried intermittent fasting for a month — and I saw 7 life-changing results