Nando’s will not reopen for deliveries on Friday
- Chicken chain Nando’s said it will not open its stores for delivery-only service on Friday because that does not make commercial sense.
- Fast food deliveries are permitted in South Africa under lockdown Level 4, but no sit-down, drive-thru, or own collections.
- Nando’s says reopening might only make sense when drive-thrus are allowed to open again.
- For more stories go to the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
Peri-peri chicken restaurant Nando’s will not reopen for fast food deliveries on Friday, 1 May.
Fast food deliveries are permitted in South Africa under Alert Level 4, which will be implemented on Friday.
Consumers will, however, not be allowed to visit the fast-food outlets to collect their own takeaways, and food deliveries will only be permitted between 09:00 and 19:00 daily.
Nando’s said it does not make commercial sense to reopen for deliveries only.
“Opening for delivery only will lose Nando’s and our franchise partners more money than being closed,” Nando’s CEO Mike Cathie said.
Cathie said the company is focused on preserving jobs of thousands of employees, and can’t add to the already enormous weekly losses they are incurring.
He said once drive-thru is permitted (which would also lower the risk of coronavirus infection compared to delivery) it may make more commercial sense to their stores.
He said a small number of stores will reopen their kitchens only to help cook meals for communities where access to food is a major challenge.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- How you can help restaurants, bars and other small businesses during the lockdown
- SA’s mall owners slash rent - but there is still no deal with big retailers
- Lockdown rules are due to relax in May – but don’t expect flights, say SAA and FlySafair
- New R350 unemployment grants will use WhatsApp for registration - and first tests have been completed
- WATCH: Spectacular scenes in Lesotho after heavy snowfall