Nando’s introduces fake meat patty overseas – and it smells just like chicken
- Nando’s has launched a plant-based patty in Australia.
- Its texture is supposed to be very similar to a minced chicken burger patty, and it smells just like meat when it's cooked.
- But South Africans probably won’t see “The Great Pretender” soon in local Nando’s outlets.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider's home page.
The South African-born fast-food chicken chain Nando’s has
launched a plant-based patty in Australia.
The “Great Pretender” burger is made from plant-based protein, flavoured with lemon, herbs and garlic, as well as Nando's African Birds Eye Chilli.
The Australian Daily Mail reports that the patty will be launched in Queensland, Australia next week, and will cost $9.95 (around R100). It will be available across Australia later in the year.
Nando's Head of Food, Mario Manabe, told Daily Mail Australia that the Great Pretender's texture is very similar to a minced chicken burger patty, and it caramelises and smells just like meat when it's cooked.
But South Africans probably won’t see “The Great Pretender” soon in local Nando’s outlets. When Business Insider asked a Nando’s spokesperson about whether it will be introduced here, she replied:
“You’d have to ask Mzansi about that one. The truth is we serve a different market to Australia. People with different wants, needs and expectations.”
She said that there already many vegetarian options available locally, including salads, burgers, pitas and wraps.
Nando’s is also still exploring introducing free-range chicken (where the poultry is free to roam outside and eat natural foods), she confirmed.
“Free-range is a complex and involved sourcing process that we remain interested in and are investigating. If and when such an option becomes feasible, we will let you know.”
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- 17 jobs paying more than R2 million in SA right now
- The definitive guide to what to do if you lost your ID, passport, credit card or cell phone
- South African and Chinese scientists have just made an exciting breakthrough to allow internet users to transfer secure quantum data via normal optical fibre
- Checkers has a ‘secret’ online shop that’s up to 40% cheaper than its other stores - but there are a few catches
- Here's where - and when - your car is most likely to be stolen or hijacked