Mother of George Floyd's daughter gives an emotional speech after his death
- Roxie Washington, the mother of George Floyd's daughter said Floyd was a good man, and that she's seeking justice for his death.
- Washington also spoke about what it meant for her six-year-old daughter Gianna to lose her father.
- "Gianna does not have a father. He will never see her grow up, graduate. He will never walk her down the aisle. If there is a problem and she needs her father, she will not have that anymore," Washington said.
- Floyd died last week after a white police officer knelt on his neck for several minutes.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Roxie Washington, the mother of George Floyd's daughter, gave an emotional speech on Floyd's death and the impact it will have on their six-year-old daughter. "At the end of the day, they get to go back to their families," Washington said. "Gianna does not have a father. He will never see her grow up, graduate. He will never walk her down the aisle. If there is a problem and she needs her father, she will not have that anymore."
â€œHe will never see her grow up, graduateâ€¦ he will never walk her down the aisleâ€
Roxie Washington, the mother of George Floydâ€™s six-year-old daughter Gianna, says â€œI want justice for himâ€
Floyd, who was black, died last week after a now-former police officer knelt on his neck for several minutes in Minneapolis. All four officers involved in the incident were fired. Derek Chauvin, the officer from the video kneeling on Floyd's neck, has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.
Floyd's family has called for Chauvin to face heavier charges. Protests against police brutality have also erupted across the country. Many protesters have called for the remaining three officers to be charged. In her speech, Washington said Floyd was a good man."I'm here for my baby and I'm here for George because I want justice for him," she said. "I want justice for him because he was a good, no matter what anybody thinks, he was good."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- No cash and single rooms only: Some SA hotels are opening to travellers – but things are weird
- UCT students to get full refund if they drop courses by Friday
- From Sasol to Shoprite - here are some bursaries available for university study in 2021
- A strip club in PE is selling booze and giving pole dances – all from the comfort of your car
- Meet Coronasaurus, the T-Rex delivering geeky face masks in Cape Town, dreaming of TikTok fame