The top 10 most expensive watches sold by Christie's in 2018 – for up to R47 million
- The 10 most expensive watches sold at Christie's this year ranged in price from R8 million to R47 million.
- The auction house also celebrated 25 consecutive years as the leading jewelry auction market in 2018.
- Topping this list, a rare Patek Philippe wristwatch sold for a whopping $3,234,905.
In a time when smartphones reign supreme, it's fascinating to find that there are still people willing to pay a pretty penny for a good old-fashioned watch.
Whether they simply value the old way of telling time or are looking for a way to display their style on their wrist, watch buyers were willing to drop some serious cash with Christie's this year.
In 2018, the auction house said it made $492.3 million in total jewellery sales – that is R7.1 billion – most of it in live auctions. The sales total earned Christie's its 25th consecutive year as the leading jewellery auction market. It also saw a new record being set with a bottle of Macallan 60 Year Old selling for a whopping $1.5 million (incidentally, that bottle broke the record set by another bottle of Macallan 60 Year Old, which had sold for $1.1 million just two months prior).
Here are the top 10 most expensive watches sold by Christie's in 2018, ranked from least to most expensive.
10. Designed and signed by Richard Mille, this rare platinum and baguette-cut, diamond-set tourbillon wristwatch sold for a cool R8.2 million
9. A unique Patek Philippe chronograph wristwatch, 18k white gold and diamond-set with a degradé black dial, brought in R8.9 million.
8. This Patek Philippe 18K gold perpetual calendar chronograph watch with moon phases and a tachymeter scale sold for R9.7 million.
7. Made in 1930, this 18K gold cushion-shaped Patek Philippe wristwatch sold for R10.2 million.
6. A truly timeless design, this 1969 stainless steel chronograph Rolex wristwatch with a Paul Newman mark went for R10.6 million.
5. Stacked with impressive features like a minute-repeating instantaneous perpetual calendar, leap year indication, day and night display modes, and moon phases, it's no wonder this platinum Patek Philippe auctioned for R10.9 million.
4. A fine, 18K gold Patek Philippe perpetual chronograph wristwatch from 1944 auctioned for R13.2 million.
3. This rare early stainless steel Rolex wristwatch, with a gilt explorer dial, automatic time, and centre seconds, sold for R15.4 million.
2. An officially certified chronometer, 18K gold Rolex with a triple calendar, star dial, and moon phases, this watch proved to be a big ticket item when it brought in R22.7 million.
1. The year's most expensive watch sale at Christie's, an 18K gold Patek Philippe chronograph watch, signed by Philippe and featuring a perpetual calendar and moon phases, went for a whopping $3,234,905 – nearly R47 million.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is how many Smarties, Jelly Tots, and Liquorice Allsorts you're supposed to eat
- An apparent electrical emergency in New York turned the night sky bright blue and the visuals are eerie
- Fans and investors have thrown over R3.6 billion at this gorgeous video game – but it won’t hit shelves until at least 2020
- Britain's defence secretary echoes the US with 'grave, very deep concerns' about Huawei
- Here's 5 ways May's Brexit chaos could play out
- Rich people can now celebrate New Year's Eve twice with a private jet company that flies them around the world for R3.7 million