- School fees at the ten most expensive boarding schools in SA are all more than R260,00 per pupil in 2020.
- KZN boarding-only schools Hilton College and Michaelhouse are the most expensive in the country, charging more than R300,000 per pupil.
- One school said the fees are necessary to retain the best staff.
- For more, go to BusinessInsider.co.za.
The ten most expensive boarding schools in South Africa will all be charging parents more than R260,000 in 2020.
Those fees come as the South African economy struggles with an anticipated economic growth of 0.7% for 2019, and a projected 0.9% in 2020.
Business Insider South Africa compared matriculant boarding school fees of the most expensive schools in the country.
In comparison, a student will be expected to pay roughly R55,000 for an engineering degree at the University of Witwatersrand, which is subsided by the state.
St Andrew's College in Grahamstown is the third most expensive school in the country, charging R291,000 per pupil boarding per year.
In a letter to parents in September, the tenth most expensive boarding school in the country, St Alban's College, said its school fees was necessary to recruit and retain the most proficient staff.
Also read: These are the top 10 academic schools in South Africa right now - with fees starting from R33,000 a year
The school’s council chairperson Warwick van Breda said staff salaries, followed by kitchen and catering, security and maintenance, constitute the bulk of the school’s expenses.
“We thank you for your ongoing support of the College and are cognisant that your support requires a considerable financial commitment on your part,” Van Breda said.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Government plans a new website where farmers can donate land
- Johann Rupert replaces Nicky Oppenheimer as SA’s richest man - growing his net worth by R11 billion in one year
- Here’s what we know about Absa’s first black CEO Daniel Mminele - who received Germany’s highest honour in 2018
- Expert tips on how to get a job in SA this year – including creating your own experience
- Want an extra online-shopping discount in South Africa? Try walking away for a day or three.