Today’s business update — and how to invest in gold
From Business Insider South Africa:
Some SA celebs will send you a personalised video for R150 - but Siya Kolisi, Kurt Darren are pricier
1. The rand is on a tear, strengthening to below R16.90/$ this morning. Overnight, Wall Street rose – despite the US recording a single-day record of 60,000 new coronavirus cases.
2. Locally, another 100 South Africans died in the past day, with Gauteng now officially having more cases (75,000 infections) than the Western Cape, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced. He warned that Gauteng and the Eastern Cape are set to run out of hospital beds for Covid-19 patients within the next month.
3. After another two generation units tripped, Eskom asked the public to reduce electricity usage.
4. SAA business rescue practitioners have sweetened the retrenchment deal for employees. While officially only 1,000 workers of the labour force of 4,600 will be retained, another 1,000 employees will be placed on a “training layoff scheme”, and SAA will pay some benefits for these workers.
5. Steinhoff agreed to sell its stake in furniture retailer Conforama France to Mobilux Sàrl for a nominal amount.
Graph of the day:
Tweets of the day:
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here
Also from Business Insider South Africa
- Your future MacBook will probably look a lot more like the iPhone
- Growing evidence shows that economies that fought Covid-19 aggressively are bouncing back faster
- Egypt has arrested doctors, blaming them for the Covid-19 crisis
- Trump is considering banning TikTok to punish China over Covid-19
- Twitter jumps 12% after posting a job listing citing a potential subscription platform