Today’s business update — and the best deals for Dezemba flights
From Business Insider South Africa:
Tennis' biggest stars are unhappy with the French Open's new balls that 'you wouldn't give to a dog to chew'
1. The prices of goods leaving SA's farms and factories increased by 2.4% for August, the highest rate in five months. Producer price inflation has been subdued during lockdown, but food prices have marched higher recently.
2. Despite a weakening in the rand – last at R17.04/$ - fuel prices look set for a cut in a week’s time. The latest calculation from the Central Energy Fund projects a 32c/litre decrease in 95 petrol (24c for 93 petrol), while diesel is on track for a cut of more than 90c.
3. Workers at Eskom Rotek Industries will start a strike today, in protest against the use of labour brokers at the division. The Eskom unit supplies construction, maintenance and transportation services to the power utility.
4. For the year to 30 June 2020, Remgro suffered a 61% drop in its total headline profit to R3.167 billion. Its intrinsic net asset value per share decreased by 34% from R233 at 30 June 2019 to R154.47. Remgro is currently trading below R110.
5. Liberty Two Degrees reported that the latest weekend visitor numbers to its malls is at 80% of 2019 levels. The top performers are Sandton City (85%), Midlands Mall (88%) and Eastgate (97%).
Percentages of the day:
South Africa: 1.7%Rest of world: 27%Source: Spectator Index
Tweet of the day:
Prayers for my husband who very tragically got me nothing for our anniversary when I specifically told him I wanted nothing for our anniversary.— Jessie (@mommajessiec) September 28, 2020
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here
Also from Business Insider South Africa
- Donald Trump has lost more than R5.4bn on his golf courses over the last 20 years, says report
- Uber wins a court battle with London's transport body that secures its right to operate in the city
- Elon Musk says he and his family won't get a coronavirus vaccine when it becomes available
- Scientists detected a set of salty lakes on Mars, hidden below south pole glaciers
- A pregnant US woman jumped into the ocean to save her husband from a shark attack